New United Android APP

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Sep 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check it out....Almost as good (and practically a clone) of the CO Android App. One thing missing is the ability to view the upgrade queue, however that never did me any good as I was always traveling on my UA MP#m therefore I as invisible in the queue.

Still would like to see the ability to D/L flight dates / times to the Android Calendar. I haven't tried booking or checking in on it yet, but the CO app was great for that.

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, the app is very nice. Similar start page as CO, just a little different in the Flight status page. On some flights it allows you to see the Standby and upgrade list (its under the Stand By tab and upgrade is to the right of the Stand By button). Great now, I am going to be staring at this to see if UDUs clear for my positioning flights for MegaDo3. :D

avflyer likes this.
  3. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade queue was added Saturday evening along with seat maps. Seat map disappears shortly before boarding I noticed looking at my flight and the adjacent flight.

avflyer likes this.
  4. Tarpie
    Original Member

Tarpie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doh! I downloaded the app Hurricane Irene weekend. I assumed I missed the announcement so did not mention it.

It took me awhile to find the upgrade list under standby, but it saved me from missing an UDU because I could see I was not on the list before the gate. I did not use it as a mobile boarding pass since my re-routed reservation needed manual assistance to check-in.

Of course, I don't really need it at this point in the year. I try to stick to CO metal since I am platinum there and only 1P on UA metal. Already have my EUA notices at the 120 hour window for Thursday and Sunday :)

5. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to use this app quite extensively on Monday due to an unavoidable change in itinerary. SDC'ed to the last flight out for the night and found myself in a e+ middle seat and 6th on the upgrade list w/ 1 seat remaining. As such I was anxiously watching the seat map and the upgrade list for changes. The info on the app was updating almost real time and was extremely helpful. Interface was easy to use and the screens loaded quickly despite my sub-par data connection (gotta love that t-mobile "4G"). The flight status updates were still a bit slower than my FlightTracker App but it was nice having them in the same place as my info.

While I haven't had the opportunity to use it (long story) the mobile boarding pass is also included into the app. If this allows me to avoid the process of going into my email to download the pass (again I'll note my lightening fast connection) then I'll be very happy. So far so good and its nice to see United stepping up their mobile presence.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bad side to the upgrade list is when you only see one seat left in First, and you are third on the Upgrade list! :(

7. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I also have days where I feel that. It seems like there are upgrade list zones that elicit emotions. With 1 seat available my list looks like:
    1-2 = excitedly anticipating getting the seat​
    3-5 = annoyed because my advanced purchase cheap fare code hosed me again​
    6-10 = oh well, looks like a I have to pay $5 for my Jim Beam and Ginger on this flight​
    10+ = how the heck did I end up at SFO?​

In this situation, I was looking to piggy-back off the higher status flyer getting upgraded so I could take the newly vacated and likely better seat than my middle.

Flyer1976 and canucklehead like this.
  8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's gonna be interesting to see how this works overseas.

9. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing I miss is the flight status options. The CO App allows you the save the flights for status updates to the main screen. Haven't been able to get that to work on the UA App... :(

Plus both unfortunately do not allow you to access already downloaded airport maps without connectivity to get the list of all airports... :(