New UA Promo: Buy miles and get a bonus of up 100%. The more who buy miles, the bigger your bonus

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Sep 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This UA offer to buy miles just landed in mbox.

Sample offerings:

5000 miles - $188.13 or 3.76 cpm
    27,000 miles - $1,015.88 or 3.76 cpm
    150,000 miles - $5,634.75 or 3.76 cpm

They claim that one gets 35% more bonus miles. This assumes that miles sell @ 5 cpm, which seems consistent with (even a bit cheaper than) what I will earn this year from just flying (~5.6 cpm, excluding elite bonus). I am, therefore, posting it here because I think it is a good deal, especially if you find lots of people and buy together. People wanting to stock up on miles to afford that future trip could find this useful.

Here's the promo. Clicking on the image takes you to the promo's portal:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buy-UA-Miles.png

For three days only, buy award miles and receive at least 35% bonus miles. The more people who buy miles, the higher everyone's 35% bonus can climb - up to 100%. So tell your family and friends to join in and buy miles to increase everyone's bonus.

Offer ends in:
    2 days 16 hours 35 minutes 13 seconds

Current transaction count: 24

Current bonus level: 35%

1) Buy miles
    [​IMG]

Receive at least 35% bonus miles when you buy.
    2) Share with others to get everyone on board
    [​IMG]

The more people who buy miles, the bigger your bonus.
    3) Watch your bonus grow up to 100%
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  2. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems that it's the great End of Summer Mile Sale!

Thanks for the link. Lucky does not think it is a good promo, but it really depends on one's needs. Would I go for this or any promo offering miles for sale? No, because I am seldom short. The promised bonus of 35% is for real (at least Lucky admits that much), so that folk who need extra miles to supplement what they already have in order to afford that trip could find this useful. YMMV...

Newscience likes this.
  4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    right, the old adage probably applies still, do the math for a planned travel , see if it's worth the purchase of points, Avianca for Star Alliance flights, US Airways for Oneworld flights. :p

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite. They're selling at the 3.76cpm number just like always. And that goes down based on the number of bonus points you earn. Assuming the 100% threshold is hit (which I expect) the rate drops to 1.9cpm after the bonus miles post.

But it is never 5cpm.

Newscience likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the UA bonus was at 100% (1.9 cpm), it would still be considerably more expensive than Avianca miles (1.5 cpm).

UA awards have some advantages (stopovers on round trip awards), but for a longhaul premium class award, it might well be the case that you would be better off spending more, cheaper Avianca miles for multiple awards (especially given UA's rates on partner awards).

And don't forget Alaska for Cathay and Emirates flights. ;)

(US Airways, and Avianca have better pricing than UA if it hits 100%, Alaska's a touch more.)

Newscience likes this.
  7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alaska miles purchase wasn't top of mind for me unfortunately, as it is open only for purchase by US-based credit cards, and i am based in Asia..:(

Newscience likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case where does the 35% that one person gets come from? I figured it includes the bonus, so that 3.76 cpm + (3.76 cpm * 35%) = 5.07 cpm is the undiscounted cost. My cpm from just flying this year, including elite bonus (I'd said excluding elite bonus), will be 5.6. so I would consider 3.76 or even 5.07 a bargain...but we may be talking about apples and oranges. I have only bought PQMs so I am not sure. What you may be saying is that after one purchases @ 3.76 cpm, UA throws in the 35% on top?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it. My error because I assumed that the 3.76 cpm was the discounted cost. It does make sense in retrospect that the discount was not inclusive since it was going to grow with the number of those who team up to purchase...

B1BomberVB and Newscience like this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lifemiles announced their 2x1 sale today through 9/30. This will be their last sale before their price increase, so the current cost is $0.015/mile. I have bought them many times before, and they always go to good use, but I do live in their primary territory. Many, however, buy them who never come down here.

They just devalued their award redemptions, so it isn't as good for many as it once was, but it doesn't affect me one bit. Although I prefer CM, and they rarely show up as an option for me, AV isn't bad at all. Especially at this price! UA's offer of 35%, then if, if, if..... Meh. If I really needed UA miles, I would just buy some on one of my upcoming reservations at $0.019.

Newscience likes this.
  12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup, perhaps UA picked a wrong date to announce this promo, doesn't look at face value, too good vs confirmed 100% bonus for Avianca and US Airways..:p

Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's up to 40% now... :rolleyes:

Newscience likes this.
  14. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    great, do i hear 45% :D

Newscience likes this.
  15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., I have to ask, what happened the last time that UA made this same offer? Did it reach 60%, 80%, 100%? Curious minds want to know. I'll bet that @Wandering Aramean can answer that question in his sleep! ;)

FWIW, it now might be worth it for me to buy some extra UA miles to either upgrade or book business seating directly for upcoming TATL flights. Thanks!

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Last time around it reached 60% (the max on offer) by around this point. And that was based on needing the same number of qualifying participants.

This one is at 479 participants right now, a MUCH slower pace than last time. I suppose I'll need to revise my prior estimate that they'll hit the 100% threshold without much trouble.

Newscience likes this.
  17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now on track to hit 50%. It will be interesting to see how high this promotion will go before it's ended. I'm betting on a last-hour or two surge, but who knows where it will end?

18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slowly but surely...

Newscience likes this.
  19. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple hrs ago when I looked they were less than 109 people away from hitting 50%.....hopefully it gets much closer to 75-100% by tonight and I might pull thr trigger on some myself. Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Newscience likes this.
  20. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now at 60% and counting. Go, baby, go! ;)

It's now at 80% (5:30 pm EDT). Perhaps we'll hit 100% by the end of the day.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    eponymous_coward likes this.
  21. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Nice. Might have to pull the trigger when I get home. I was just hoping for 50%.....:)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

22. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    As of 5:15 pm central time...we are at 100%

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Flyer1976, Newscience and IDGflygirl like this.
  23. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup! It time to buy if this offer interests you! ;)

WilliamQ and daninstl like this.
  24. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    So did anyone buy in?

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm.... not a huge response. Maybe the auctioned miles are simply not as valuable as the miles earned from flying, which also earn QPM...
    I'd said up-thread that this year I have purchased my miles for 5.6 cents a piece, but I did not consider the fact that those miles were from flying and thus included PQMs, while the ones just auctioned did not include PQMs. Viewed as such, the auctioned miles do now seem a bit expensive, and it is clear that I was mixing apples and oranges...;)