New TSA software to end naked scanner images

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by legalalien, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I can finally stop opting out.

Say goodbye to naked scanner images.​
    The Transportation Security Administration announced Wednesday that it will begin installing software to allow airport scanners to show objects hidden under the clothes of passengers without creating what appears to be a naked digital image of the travelers.​
    The full-body scanners now operating at 78 airports across the country use low levels of radiation to look through the clothing of screened passengers to create an image that TSA officials can view to find hidden weapons or contraband.​
    A software upgrade that the TSA has been testing in airports in Las Vegas, Atlanta and Washington since February would instead create a generic human form (as shown above) and indicate if the scanner detects a hidden object under the clothing. The technology would also show the TSA agents on what part of the body the object has been found.​

Full article here: http://lat.ms/piq1cQ

mht_flyer and LXJenkins like this.
  2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    But if we're opting out due to unknown health risks this doesn't address that. I'll continue to opt out because it's my little civil disobedience.

Junca, Gargoyle and (deleted member) like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I have and will continue to opt out.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I pay a $5 security fee for every flight. Since I'm doubtful that it actually protects me from much, I want to at least get a full body massage as part of the package. :D

Grace likes this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is proof that TSA agents want to avoid looking at my junk as much as the next guy. For awhile there, I thought that was the whole idea behind keeping the scan.

All kidding aside, I hope someone out there is doing some kind of scientific study around the long term impacts of these scanners. Then again, I've also heard that with the time we sit in a plane, we're exposed to more radiation at 30,000 ft than we are during a few seconds in the scanner.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess now they don't need the secret room anymore and could just have an HD display right next to the scanner for everyone to see.

That may very well be true. How about this: they set up these scanners at the capitol in Washington and the lawmakers get to walk through it each day. Then I am willing to walk through for my flights.

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not too worried about radiation from the MMW scanners. The Backscatter machines are a different matter entirely. The backscatter machines do emit ionizing radiation that is cumulative in exposure, and there is no verified testing program or certification of the machines. I shall continue to stay as far away from backscatter as possible. This upgrade - assuming the raw images are not stored or projected in a peep-show booth - will alleviate most concerns with MMW.

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I right in understanding this will eliminate the need for the TSA screener in the isolated booth, and the screen will be right there at the end of the machine (like the backscatter)?

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    To be honest, I really don't have any health or other concerns. What really pisses me off about any of the new machines is that I have to take my belt off and that it adds significant time/delay to my day.

DenverBrian likes this.
  10. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    You opt out of the scan because of unknown health risks...and then jump right on a plane to fly for several hours at 35,000 feet, where you get more radiation than the scan gives you. <scratches head>

11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well if you assume radiation exposure is cumulative, then I think it makes sense.

Grace likes this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Both your point and the other point you quoted are true.

However, the TSA has a huge problem with being trustworthy; even among people who don't frequent this forum or TOBB.

Junca likes this.
  13. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the lack of testing and opt out for that reason, but they rarely have a female available to conduct the pat down, and I end up standing next to the backscatter for several minutes. Under those circumstances, I wonder if waiting for the pat down is any safer.:(

14. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your faith in the TSA is admirable. scratches head.

15. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have little faith in TSA, but thanks for twisting my words. My point was that we as humans have a remarkable capacity to fixate on one aspect of health, even obsess on it, while we blithely expose ourselves to dozens of comparable health risks every day and pay them no mind. It's a logic issue, not a TSA issue.

16. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    The data you take as fact came from TSA. So, I twisted nothing.

You are also accusing others of paying no mind to other exposures. That is a big assumption.

I don't want to get into a back and forth, so you are welcome to have the last word. I won't scratch my head at you if you don't scratch your head at others.

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But it's also an issue of principle.

bin Laden did what he did to not just cause a spectacular, unimaginable death toll. His mission was to cause worldwide economic turmoil and to attack the freedoms and liberties The U.S. had.

While the concept of flying wasn't around when we told England to buzz off centuries ago, I have an incredibly difficult time thinking that any of the signatories of The Constitution would stand for The Government to be doing what is done to its citizens at airports right now.