New Transit Option from BWI

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by mhnadel, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

With the opening of the Intercounty Connector on March 1st, there is going to be a new metrobus from BWI to the Shady Grove Metro Station. Route is numbered 201. It will be free for the first 2 weeks and $5 after that.

Given that it is a longer trip than to Greenbelt, this is probably only of use to people going to Rockville or Bethesda, but it might also help to Woodley Park or Dupont Circle, which are frequent tourist and convention destinations. And it is always good to have more options.
    Gargoyle and Sam Axe like this.
  2. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

As somebody who travels to Bethesda 4-5 times a year, there's one big problem - only 14 buses per day compared to 21-25 buses to Greenbelt. Hourly schedule most of the time, and last eastbound departure from Shade Grove at 5pm. They need a little better headway in the mornings out of BWI (say 8, 8:40, 9:20, 10) and in the evenings out of Shady Grove (more like 3, 3:40, 4:20, 5, 5:40, 6:30).

If they can get up to 17 buses a day with 40 minute headways during the peak, they'll be competitive for people trying to fly in to BWI and get to Rockville through Woodley Park. For me when ORD-DCA is insanely priced, the earliest I can get to Bethesda using MDW-BWI and this bus with the current schedule is 11:30, and I'd have to leave by 4:30 and sit around BWI for two hours.
    Gargoyle likes this.