New to Travel Forums

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by BPeets, Mar 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. BPeets

BPeets New Member

Status Points:
    I have never posted on a travel or any other kind of forum before so I'm not sure what pearls of wisdom I can share.
    I guess I'm curious if these kinds of memberships have any real advantages and if so how many people actually benefit from them.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! Consider this a safe place to ask all those "stupid" questions. If you are getting into the mileage game there is information here you will use and a LOT of folks with lots of answers that won't ridicule you about your questions.
    So, what kind of information are you looking for?

webdes03 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Why reinvent the wheel?" as the old saying goes. There is no need to figure out all of of the ins and outs of using miles when someone else allready has. A lot of the people here are more than willing to pass on their knowledge.
    And maybe you too will have something to teach us.

And meet some nice people along the way.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "advantages" to a MP membership are what you make of them. In a comparison test you are more likely to find willing "coaches" here than other forums. But you won't get answers without questions.

5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Firstly, welcome to MilePoint!

Many programs have great benefits, and many people yield many great results from those programs. It really depends on a) where you live, b) what you're looking for, and c) what your options are to earn/maintain those programs.

Certain airlines/alliances are obviously stronger and weaker in different markets. Some airlines' miles are more or less valuable than others. Certain credit card offers offer better perks at a lower cost than others. Certain hotel programs are better than others, and convert to airline miles at different ratios.

Can you better narrow down what you're looking for? MilePoint is a great place to ask those questions and find that information. Each of the major hotels and airlines has a dedicated forum here, and that can be a great place to start. If you can narrow down what you're looking for we may be able to point you to some specific ones to start with.

This game can be a bit like drinking through a fire hose, but most people here remember when they were just starting out, and most are more than happy to share tips and recommendations.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! :)

I use this site to travel better and smarter. Lots of knowledgeable people here to answer questions and help provide insight.

Warning: You might become a Miles/points junkie, for which there is no cure. ;)

webdes03 likes this.
  7. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Milepoint is a lot better. I am still new and learning. One concept that I am extremely interested in is mileage running with the ita software. The problem is that everyone wants to be very secretive. I understand why, but its just frustrating.

8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ITA engine makes it really easy to force routing rules and such, and price itineraries. That's really what I use it for. There's not a ton of secrets to mileage runs, get the most PQM's or PQS' (whichever you need) at the lowest rate. Some people won't consider a mileage run unless it's at a certain cost per mile. Personally, I think MRs are more personal preference than secret tricks.