New to this. Looking for mileage runs from dtw on delta

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Love2fly88, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I am an avid flyer but relatively new to searching for mileage runs so any help would be greatly appreciated. I live near dtw and have been trying to find MR on ddeltas itch out much success. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions? Thanks in advance

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. It can be hard to find good MRs from a hub. Are there nearby airports other than DTW that you could use somewhat conveniently, even if it means that the initial and final legs will be on small planes connecting to DTW?

ADDED. Can you do positioning flights to use the EWR- SIN RT if it's not so cheap from DTW or anything else within driving distance for you? There are currently some nice prices on that route.

3. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the EWR-SIN fares are dead.

4. Yeah thanks I split time between the detriot area and Columbus so I can use Cmh and daytom

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are you choosing Delta and what is the goal of your mileage running? (i.e. earn X amount of redeemable miles for an award, earn upgrade instruments to use on a future international flight, earn status, etc etc)

6. I have about 35k miles on delta from the last few years and have recently been flying a bit more often and I live near dtw which is why I usually fly delta. The goal would be status and using miles to upgrade

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    status is really only good if one is flying often, which 35k over a few years isn't a lot of flying (unless doing lots of short hauls). Is this business or personal travel?

While I understand looking at DL as it is your hub airline, I'd do some research on how useful DL miles are to use to upgrade. (I've never used my DL miles for upgrades, only awards and it took me YEARS to find lowest tier awards.) I know some folks have good luck & enjoy DL, I'm just suggesting you make sure that DL is a program you can really use and is worth your while to pursue with MRs.

bk3day likes this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now (at least) miles can't be used to upgrade on Delta -- NW let you do it and if you just make Silver Elite, about all you should expect to get is zone 2 boarding and free checked luggage (and maybe a few bonus miles and a discount on SC memberships).

Get the right credit card and you can get the first two of these items.

DTWBOB

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? AFAIK anyone, not just elites, can use miles to upgrade on DL if upgrade inventory space is available. This has been true at least since the merger. Domestic should cost 12,500 per direction from B M H Q K fares and 5,000 miles per direction from full Y fares. For international upgrades, figure on about 25,000 miles per direction from M or B fares and less from full Y, but unfortunately these are very expensive fare codes.