New to Silver... Seat Selection Question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by mrredskin, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I have never been able to book Preferred seating, I have no knowledge of this:

Just booked travel in May which will include a trek on the 757 (75N variety) to SAT via ATL on a Saturday. There were probably 6-8 preferred seats already taken, yet none of those were exit row. I was able to book 16B and C (no one presently in A) which looks to yield me one of the better seats in coach according to Seatguru. No other exit row seats have been selected... only some in the few rows behind me. The only downfall I see is some possibly congregating near the lavatory if there is a lot of distance between the seat and the crapper.

So, the question: are these more than likely just elites who know they will be upgraded or what? It would seem odd to me that an elite would go with something more random like a 19C or E instead of additional legroom. My hopes of an upgrade seem to be rather good at this time since F looks full. Maybe even the gf will get an upgrade as a travel companion?! And yes the reservations are linked

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in the minority here, but I am a delta elite who never books exit rows seats, because the seats are more narrow (because the tray table is in the wider armrest instead of on the seat in front of you.)

Like I said, others will chime in, but that is one possible reason.

Mtjsb likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not that unusual to see a seat map that is relatively empty in the exit rows. It probably depends on the route, time, etc.

Remember that not all passengers can sit in exit rows: it is a responsibility as well as a privilege. You must be able to communicate in English. If you're not in reasonable physical condition you should not elect to sit here. Passengers under 15 or those travelling with children are not allowed to sit in an exit row. Some airlines (I think DL is one) forbid seat belt extenders in the exit row.

Normally, you are asked if you qualify for an exit row when you reserve the seat, whether on delta.dumb or by phone. You will be asked again by the GA as you board the aircraft: when your boarding pass is scanned, a flashing light indication will require the GA to verify that you are aware that you're in an exit row and are indeed exit row qualified. On board, a FA will probably approach and ask again, suggesting that you review the emergency card and ask any questions (and pay close attention to the emergency procedures speech).

Finally, remember that recline is extremely limited in the first (of two or more) exit rows. FAs are likely to be more picky about items being completely underneath the seat in front of you and things not supposed to be in the seat pocket.

4. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    and one other minor detail: when you book a ticket on delta.com, DL will automatically assign you a seat. if you're elite, it will be an elite seat. but it will never automatically assign an exit seat, even if that's all that's left.

so, exit row seats go to the people who bother to reserve them.

5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    good answers! thanks for the other viewpoints as well

DeltaExpert likes this.