New to RTW

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by manymuse, Nov 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm hoping to book a RTW from Edmonton-London-ISydney-Edmonton - YEG-LHR-SYD-YEG, with a side trip from LHR-ACC (Accra, Ghana).

The RTW portion costs 200,000 miles economy and 300,000 business/first class.

I have 230000 miles and am scrambling to add an additional 20,000. I would love to purchase the remaining 50,000 I need from a 'friend' at 1.5 cents a mile, but may have to resort to buying them from Aeroplan at 3 cents a piece.

The routing is optional - I am looking for advice on how to get the most of my miles and with the greatest comfort, i.e. busines/first class. and the least amount of surcharges.

Any and all advice will be taken in on this very steep learning curve that I am climbing.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milePoint manymuse -- I am not a RTW expert by any means so will let the other wiser ones reply with information ... but glad to have you onboard here on the AC forum and on milePoint!

3. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not an RTW expert either, but I do know that when booking using Aeroplan miles, you now need to avoid business/first redemptions on AC and Lufthansa to avoid exorbitant fuel surcharges. I know that the UK has a premium passenger tax but I think that the RTW fare bypasses that by making you a through passenger rather than a departing passenger from LHR.

Also, if you're in first not business, consider paying the fuel surcharge for Lufthansa and route via Frankfurt, I've been told that the First Class Terminal there is quite the experience, also the Thai Spa Lounge is supposed to be quite something if you route via BKK on Thai in first.

4. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that I think of it, you should really research Mini-RTW on here and on flyertalk. It would be a whole lot cheaper and with the possible exception of the Ghana trip, your list of destinations would work.

For quick reference, a Mini-RTW is when you book a YEG-SYD ticket, and take advantage of the star alliance routing rules allowing you a stopover on the way to SYD and a stopover on the way back. The RTW fare is more expensive than this because it allows you 15 stopovers on a Business class ticket, and you're not taking advantage of that.

5. Thanks for the welcome and responses.

I've read the aeroplan rewards wiki on this site which helped.

I'm having problems wrapping the YEG-SYD RTW around my head - is it basically a round trip to Sydney via London or Frankfurt, with a stop in either place in order to head down to Africa and back, and then continuing on to Sydney?

6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's it, yes. And as BackSlash said, you can ticket it as a Mini-RTW for a much lower cost (80K in economy, 135K in business -- or 180K in first).

YULtide likes this.
  7. I just got off the phone with Aeroplan and apparently my routing isn't valid from Western Canada. I could go do this type of route from Toronto - YYZ-FRA-SIN-SYD and then return via Vancouver.
    I would need to make my own way from Edmonton to Toronto and from Vancouver.

So close!

canucklehead, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Centre of the universe baby! ;) (just kidding - sorry it did not work out!)

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might still be worth it ... a separate AP ticket YEG-YYZ-YEG, your total miles cost will still be much lower than if you book a traditional RTW from YEG.

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  10. Just finished my second call in to Aeroplan - and I can fly ORD-FRA-SIN-SYD-SFO-YEG all on one ticket! And when I checked, it was way fewer miles to fly one way to ORD than it was to YYZ 17000 vs 37000. And Chicago is the centre of my universe, so I don't mind going there.

So the next piece of advice I seek is whether I should book first, business or economy. What are the chances that my economy bookings would be bumped up to executive class on these various airlines? My trip is two months out. Is the KVS tool helpful for this - for alerting me to seats being opened? I subscribed to Milepoint for a month to help me with this task. I thought it showed 9 seats being available in 1st class for the ORD-FRA leg, but the agent said no. And he said I would have to check their website to see if anything was opened up. Fun, fun, fun:)

What do you think - I really wanted to go first class all the way, I have the miles - but will it be wasted if I get stuck in economy on any of these super long flights!

YULtide likes this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others will confirm, but I do not think you will get much of a chance for bumpup/opup from economy on other airlines ... even hard on AC if you are SE

I do not think KVS has this feature - I know ExpertFlyer does and I have used it many times to get seat alerts happily.

A seat showing up as available does not mean it has not been purchased - just that it has not yet been assigned ... so no guarantee that a tool showing 9 empty seats means they are available.

My advice (and others may have differing views) is if you want to fly business, book business, if you want to fly first, book first (if you can).

Good luck!

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  12. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    Correct, Flight & Seat Alerts are only available on ExpertFlyer and would certainly help the OP in this case.

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... and if I am not mistaken, ExpertFlyer just came out with Free Alerts for certain seats and one time charge for other seat alerts - so I think it may be something the OP could use ...

YULtide likes this.
  14. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    While there are currently no automated Alerts in the KVS Tool, it is very quick and easy to periodically [re-]check Award Availability, once the desired segments are added to the [My Trips] Tab in the KVS Tool.

More importantly, the KVS Tool has 100% Award Availability coverage across the entire Star Alliance network. Comparison charts below are courtesy of FT member Lux:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to have the tool do the work for me :p and emailing me when a seat has opened up personally ... that is why I pay for the tool :D Plus the OP can get seat alerts for minimal cost with EF if that suits the OP best ;) :D In the end the OP can and will choose which tool is best for him, or none at all :D

ExpertFlyer Voice and YULtide like this.
  16. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Given OP's routing, he will be waiting forever, given the fact that only the KVS Tool supports Award Availability on LH (ORD-FRA/FRA-SIN) & SQ (FRA-SIN/SIN-SYD) ;)

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    manymuse I hope there have been some answers here for you ... let us know if you have more ... I think there is information in this thread and others can also provide more ... that is the most important thing ... See the additional information below from EF on Award Nexus ... I had forgotten about that. EF mentions Award Nexus - you can find out more on milePoint here ...

18. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    The Free version of ExpertFlyer supports 1 free Seat Alert at a time, which is for availability of a physical seat on a flight. Flight Alerts, which is part of the Premium subscription, is what notifies you about award or upgrade availability.

If you want a free/low cost way of checking LH/*A award inventory, then the free verison of AwardNexus is the way to go, it's a great compliment to ExpertFlyer.

ACMM likes this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. I have some good news:)

I booked my RTW ticket - all in first class except the final leg - Edmonton-Chicago-Frankfurt-Sydney-Edmonton or for those of you who prefer codes YEG-ORD-FRA-SYD-YEG - 185,000 points and $300. I'm flying United and Thai Airlines. Starting and ending in western Canada was an acceptable route, which I had been told previously, that it wasn't. I'm still flying through Chicago, because I want to pop downtown for a few hours to soak up some Frank Lloyd Wright.

Next steps are to pick my seats, only after an exhaustive internet search for reviews of airline seats, of course.

Then wait for my additional aeroplan points in order to book the Frankfurt - Ghana leg. I'm feeling overconfident, maybe I can find a route that isn't on Lufthansa and thus avoid fuel surcharges! A girl can dream.

Thanks again for all the input. BTW, what does OP stand for?

21. Oh, and I forgot to mention, but need to, in case any other newbie reads this, the easiest way to figure out if I could do everything was using the aeroplan site and plotting my trip one segment at a time using the one-way option. Then I could see how much I'd have to pay in taxes/surcharges and what my options/routings were. Then I would phone Aeroplan and confirm that what I wanted was doable.

And of course, I got confirmation from the folks on this site too. That was nice.

22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great news! Well done! and enjoy your trip! :)

OP stands for Original Poster - which is you :)

You can use a free web site, www.seatguru.com, which will give you good information on which seats are better on airlines and different classes...

... and thanks for sharing your tips -- we can always learn from those who do things and are successful :)

We are here to enjoy your trip through you and help if we can ... :)

YULtide likes this.
  23. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool! Hope you have a great trip, and send us postcards (or trip reports)! :cool:

ACMM likes this.