New to OneWorld Alliance

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by ffitalia, Feb 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello to all. I currently use skyteam but seeing that in the next few months I plan some flights with American Airlines I'm considering enrollment in a OneWorld FF program.
    The best choice seems to me the Executive Club of British mainly for three reasons:
    - I live in Italy, as the British European I have a good chance to use it
    - Amex Italy allows points/miles conversion with British
    - expiration of miles ... 36 months .. more than enough even if I continued to use skyteam

I wanted to ask:
    - Do you have other One World programs to recommend?
    - Currently there is some interesting welcome bonus (no credit card) with British?
    Any other information is welcome.

Thanks to all in advance

2. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, in US it's a no brainer - AA (miles don't expire as along as there's any activity during 18 month period). But in Europe? Keep in mind that BA has a draconian surcharge fees for their ticket for miles redemption if you fly on their metal.

ffitalia likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the OP has a lot of intra-Europe travel then BA wouldn't be a bad option due to their distance-based chart. He can also use his Avios for travel on AB to the States since they've been pretty decent about award space lately.

ffitalia and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also the "draconian surcharge fees" are pretty much normal for all programs based outside the US, so like for like Avios are not a bad choice for being EU based.

ffitalia likes this.
  5. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is good that you have looked at ways to top up amounts - ie credit cards etc.

The one thing you need to make sure you understand is how BAEC works, in particular reward flights.

BAEC is great for short hop rewards. It is ok for long haul rewards with low numbers of flights.

It is less good for reward trips with loads of flights in them. AA is better for them.

Realistically, I'd suggest you will probably get good value as a European (with access to a credit card that will let you top them up) from BAEC. Even with small sums of Avios points (miles).

It is very rare for BAEC to have sign up bonuses. Very very rare. So no.

Note: the airline is called "British Airways" or "BA", it is never referred to as just 'British' - other than by Americans who are not familiar.

ffitalia likes this.
  6. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA Avios don't expire unless you have 36 months (3 years) without activity - and virtually any earn or burn activity resets the clock. So that trumps AA.

BA reward flight savers on BA metal are a steal for short haul redemptions.

The passing of fuel surcharges on awards is generally normal outside of USA. So I wouldn't signal out BA for this.

The Saint, ffitalia and adl73x like this.
  7. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks to all

8. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    U.S. Airways will be joining Oneworld on March 31, 2014, so that's another option.

ffitalia likes this.