new to MR and looking for options

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by acox28, Dec 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. acox28

acox28 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip planned to be in DCA for business on Friday evening and leaving on Saturday. Looking for ways to build miles on Delta. The dates are Jan.11 through 12th and I will need to leave from GSO, CLT or RDU and return to the same airport.

I could possibly leave on the evening of the 10th and return on Sunday the 13th.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick ITA Search found this for $297 or $0.145/mile (2042 miles).

CLT - ATL - DCA on 1/10 (7:30pm - 11:28pm) DL705/1438
    DCA - MEM - CLT on 1/13 (11:55am - 5:13pm) DL1431/3773

marcwint55 and malikguy like this.
  3. timbo

timbo Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to MR as well and trying to even figure out if it's something I want to do.

I've read some basics about it online but don't quite feel I'm getting the full story of what it's about.

Anyway, why *do* people do MRs?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    The idea is to hit the next status tier on an airline.

For example, I am silver on United and am going to finish the year 4 segments shy of gold.... So I am going to fly for unnecessary segments in December to get to gold status this year.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. sendbillmoney

sendbillmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    Answers will vary:

If one is close (i.e., within mileage-running distance) to a desired status and won't reach it through otherwise-scheduled travel on a desired timeline, a MR can be the solution. In some cases, acquiring a particular status can be an absolutely huge return on investment.

If one is close to a desired mileage redemption, under some circumstances it might make sense to get the rest by MR instead of buying redeemable miles.

For some mileage runners, cost per mile is the key. For others, convenient timing is the key.

Side benefit: It can give you some fun/bizarre stories to tell. "Oh yes, I went to Honolulu once. For two wonderful hours. Never even left the terminal."

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is totally dependent upon what your goals and needs are. If you don't travel much, there is no reason to do a mileage run. If you travel a good bit and want the perks of status (free bag check, early boarding, extra mileage, upgraded seats etc), it is worth spending a bit of time and money to obtain the highest status that you can with the airline that you usually fly. I think there are some who do it for bragging rights, although I personally think that is not a reason to obtain miles. With some airlines if you obtain high enough status, you also have the benefit of gifting status to a friend or relative.

timbo likes this.
  7. timbo

timbo Member

Status Points:
    OK, that's cool and it makes sense. I especially like what you said marcwint, because it made me realize that it's not a tool I'd be using now, but maybe one I'd be using in the future.

So, basically, it's a host of upgrades and little things you get by flying so much. Is there a full list of these perks someplace, or are they different from airline-to-airline? And if they're different, which one are most important to you guys and why?

8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different from airline to airline. For me I want the opportunity to move up in class without paying as well as accruing RDMs at a higher rate for future use. While I am only silver with DL it is nice to see my name on the upgrade list as well as my travelling companion's. Granted at silver my chances are low but sill better than the average flier.

9. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, learning how to find MRs can end up in some nice cheap trips as well. I recently went to FL from NC via Portland Oregon and was able to have dinner with a friend, get some Hyatt points and push myself to Silver with DL on a trip I was already planning to take.