New to MP, Flight and Hotel ?s

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Billy The Nite Owl, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Billy The Nite Owl

Billy The Nite Owl Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I'm booking my honeymoon to DaNang, Vietnam and looking for an affordable way to go business class and with a nice hotel (not sure if this should be broken up into 2 different questions). I have a majority of my miles on Delta, but not enough to book their ticket and although Korean Air is part of the SkyTeam, its tough to find cross booking. Would it be better to try to earn miles through credit cards and shoot for an upgrade on an Asian airline or try to work through Delta as my main source?

Also, in looking for hotel rooms, I am Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Priority Club, but the resort I am looking at in Vietnam is the IC Danang Sun Peninsula. I don't believe that IHG status works at IC hotels, so would paying for Ambassador be worthwhile on a 7 day trip? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

tommy777 and marcwint55 like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to upgrade with DL miles, on DL operated flights and expensive M+ fare class is required, probably about $5,000 per person RT TPAC. To upgrade on another SkyTeam partner airline such as KE means getting a SkyTeam upgrade award. On KE, blackout dates apply and you must purchase a FULL Y fare. Not all SkyTeam members permit such upgrades, so check for carriers you are considering.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can answer the Ambassador question with a 'yes'.
    Also you are able to purchase Ambassador with 32,000 PC points FYI.

4. Billy The Nite Owl

Status Points:
    That was what I was seeing. Would it be worth trying to collect points on KE to upgrade from an M class, or would that be a waste of miles?

Thank you for the advice. Is the purchase with points a good deal at 6.25 cpm? I have generally only used points for free nights.

Thanks again for the help.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure we're communicating well. Collecting miles/points in the KE FF program won't help you to upgrade an M fare on DL; that requires DL miles. However, you can earn DL miles by flying KE.

My previous response was assuming that you wanted to use DL miles for upgrades. Perhaps someone else here knows details of KE's FF program, although I'm not aware of easy ways to get KE miles other than crediting SkyTeam flights to KE. If there are credit card deals, they're probably for Korean residents.

6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to Milepoint. Regarding the Ambassador question the answer is certainly. You might want to try getting some credit cards with bonuses for Delta as it is usually much easier to book Delta than their partners on miles.
    If you are looking for the most comfort I would recommend the Asian airlines over the domestics, but you would need to get a heck of a lot of points to get the good seats. I don't know if there are any 100k offers from Amex for the platinum card at present, but if two of you did that it would give you most of the miles needed for two tickets in business.

Billy The Nite Owl likes this.
  7. Billy The Nite Owl

Status Points:
    Thank you for the info, I'll check on the current AMEX deals. I have also been looking at the KE options, and they transfer 1 to 1 with Chase Ultimate Rewards. I was unsure if trying to amass URs to move to KE would be more efficient than trying to get those required for DL. It would be 100K UR to upgrade from M class to Business on KE, or 200K+ on DL with a more unfavorable itinerary.

marcwint55 likes this.