New To Marriott Program

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by YOURGLOCKMAN, Aug 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. YOURGLOCKMAN

YOURGLOCKMAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like many other loyal Hilton Honors Diamond for the past years, and holder of the AMEX Surpass card, I am making the migration to Marriott since the drastic HH point devaluation. While I still have 700,000 with Hilton to use up, I have already accumulated 125,000 with the Marriott Rewards Visa. I guess my concerns are how to accumulate points in the most rapid, efficient way, and what to look for when redeeming points for hotels. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

If you plan on staying a fair amount at Marriott, you should contact them for the platinum challenge. They will immediately bump you to platinum and if you have nine stays within three months, you will get to keep the platinum until the next expiration.

You can also find Marriott gift cards at a discount quite often, and you get the points when using them just like a credit card payment. You should be able to buy them with your Marriott credit card. I don't know if you get the extra points on your card for buying Marriott gift cards, but the discount is certainly worth more than the extra points you would get on the card from a stay paid by the card.

I find most Marriotts very good at upgrading platinum members and they certainly have locations almost everywhere.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Toward the end of every year recently there's been a special offer on Marriott gift cards directly from Marriott. While you pay full price, you get 10 points/dollar on the purchase plus your extra 5 points if you pay with your Marriott Visa. And you still get your points when you use them. So, for example, buy $1000 worth of cards and you'll get 15000 points for the purchase if you pay with your Marriott Visa. Then when you stay you'll still get your points, so spend $1000 at a Marriott and you'll get another 15000 points if you're platinum -- 10,000 base points plus your 50% plat bonus. That's not bad -- 30,000 points for your $1000 spend!

Also be sure to take advantage of bonuses offered 2 or 3 times/year. The specific offers are targeted but we're pretty much all eligible for one of the various offers. For example, if you're platinum you might get an offer like "Stay 25 nights over 3 months and get a 45000 point bonus". A gold might get "stay 15 mights and get a 20000 point bonus". Others may get a night free for every 2 stays. All good offers.

4. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take a look at the thread I maintain, linked in my signature below. Full of tricks that will help you.

5. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:

Congrats on taking the leap -- marcwint55 makes a very good point on the Plat Challenge.

I would also ask what your goals are with respect to redemption. I've found overseas to be some of the best redemption, Europe, and North Asia most especially (I recently redeemed I think 35k MR points per night for the JW Marriott Hong Kong, which would've cost north of $600 out of pocket).

One really awesome redemption is Marriott's Flight and Hotel packages... FrequentMiler does it the most justice I've seen. Link is: http://boardingarea.com/frequentmil...ltimate-rewards-to-us-airways-american-miles/

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this for anyone, or just those switching from status with another chain? I have been booking my hotels through Priceline for the last few years, and the savings are undeniable, but...

United gave me Gold status with Marriott, and I like most Marriotts. I can pay a little bit more, and get frequent nice perks. I'm on my second Marriott stay right now, and in my second upgraded room. Free breakfast and free internet make up for the slight price difference. In this hotel (Renaissance MCO) I get free parking, too. Add in the points accumulation that I didn't get with Priceline, and I'm starting to think that I may see some benefit from making the switch. Plus, I can book through topcashback and the net price difference is even less.

It would be nice to have a higher status and get the added perks and points. If this is available to me, please tell me where to find the offer! :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read on several blogs last week that Marriott has discontinued the Gold and Platinum challenges. You may wish to confirm with Marriott customer care to confirm this before intense stay plans...

KenInEscazu and marcwint55 like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

contact Marriott customer service. This may have been discontinued a week ago, but I do not know for certain.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    marcwint55 and KenInEscazu like this.
  10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    but Marriott Gold isn't half bad already ;)

KenInEscazu likes this.
  11. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott has announced they are not offering this promotion this year. :( Please don't shoot the messenger.