New to EXP/Emerald - who recognizes it and who doesn't? (Greetings, etc.)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Aug 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just flew with a few different OW airlines, and had the following experiences regarding recognition of being EXP/Emerald onboard:

LAN: No recognition, no smile, no nothing, BUT nothing expected. It's LAN.
    AA: No recognition, some smiles (for all, not just me) on most flights.
    QF: Proactive, friendly yet professional, and personalized greeting on every flight that did make me feel welcome.

As I said, LAN is no wonder and no loss, but it surprised me that QF would be so much more proactive than the airline on which I qualified for the status. I suppose if we're going to be moaning about the lack of PDBs and linens, individual recognition is way down the list, but I thought those new iPads were supposed to be good for something along these lines.

Anyway, just an observation over the last few flights.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been lucky with the AA domestic crews in the lower 48 being pretty good about it. Harder time with the US metal folks. Usually nothing, but last flight more of the "hello Mr. flyforawg could I get you anything" like I'm used to on AA as opposed to the US stony stares and expecting a boarding pass or card to prove my status. Even had one US guy tell me that my snack was going to be a one time special courtesy because they aren't supposed to do that. That one still smarts.

3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I've observed over the last two years, if you want personalized recognition on AA, be CK. You'll get it consistently.

As a business traveler who is captive to United, however, I think you should be happy with what you do get as EXP. You get consistent upgrades and great staff on the EXP phone line; staff who are empowered to do the right thing. Compare that to 1K over on this side of the fence, and you wouldn't ever make this post.

brodyf and flyforawg like this.
  4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    By no means was I complaining, and I tried to make that evident. I just thought it was an interesting comparison.

flyforawg likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that depends. I have been CK for quite a while. On non-US stations there is not only recognition but consistent accompanied preboarding. In US domestic flights they'll sometimes allow preparing if you ask, but there is no consistency and zero recognition IME. I'm not complaining because where CK shines is with IRROPS and customer service on the CK desk. If any problem happens whatever it is CK makes life very easy, including finding fast ways through customs and immigration when needed.

FWIW, AF and LH international F do a spectacular job also, much better than any US uber elite IME.

This is off topic, however. As an EXP without CK I never had grounds for complaint either, but that was premerger. At the time I had DL Diamond and US CP and EXP won hands down.

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    CK?
    IME the benefits I like the best

Upgrades, but much worse since the merger
    Comp food and wine if in economy (although the bob food has deteriorated)

ACCESS TO GREAT FIRST CLASS LOUNGES WHEN FLYING INTERNATIONALLY like the Wing, etc. Even if flying coach VBG

Don't really care about verbal welcome so must say I don't notice much

7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cathay had fantastic recognition of Emerald :eek:

8. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown LAN several times as EXP and they always give me seat far forward as requested, put up with my meager spanish and allow me to board first.

I flew Qantas recently and a flight that started as a 737 with all coach had to be swapped for an MD80 with business and coach and they upgraded me without asking me. The nerve! And the Qantas flight attendants were always very attentive on all five legs. One even gave me a bottle of wine to take with me. I was very impressed with Qantas andd Australia. #returningsoon

brodyf likes this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    My limited experience (4 flights MIA-SCL) with LAN is that ExecPlat got me access to exit row seats in economy, particularly on 767s there's great leg room in the two side rows and not because there's a door in front of you. Not sure what else to expect beyond the standard OW priority benefits.