New to Delta

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TimeZoneCST, Nov 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All - I am planning on a possible move from UA to Delta. A question I'd like to throw out to the group is re: RPU/GPU exchanges. How easy or how willing are folks to trade miles for upgrades to biz and F class? Is this possible with Delta like it is with UA? I've held Plat status with UA in the past, fell to GLD last year. I often need to trade miles for upgrade for my Asia trips. Thanks in advance for your willingness to help

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades to Biz (they don't have intl F) using miles or SWU certs are a PITA on DL. You've gotta have a nearly full fare tix (M, B, or Y class) to use either and they are usually more then just buying a Disc Biz. So the problem isn't people's willingness to trade but rather the economics.

3. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. They've lost their appeal since the price changes for M fares. Barely useable is how I would describe them.

anileze likes this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marginally useful on Transcon/Hawaii flights. The only way to actually use them, is to string together an itinerary where the SWU UG bucket is open and apply them right there. I am unsure if @ExpertFlyer Voice still shows SWU fare class availability.

5. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ended up never using them for international, then blowing them just before expiration to pop to the top of the DoD upgrade list on a few mid cons out of LAX. Mostly a waste.

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were worthwhile about 10-12 years ago. Now not worth the bytes they are stored in your profile page ;) - This reminds me of the era when DL used to do Double medallion qualification promos ? I vaguely remember a Borden running the skymiles show for DL. Those were the good 'ol days.

7. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like most everything else with DL SM, maybe even more so, the SWU's can only be described as...

[​IMG] MEJOR EN SU CLASE [​IMG]

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    So then my question now is, as a Gold member for UA, what is my best option for heading for the exit? Where are most FF headed? I know this varies but for the most part where do you see everyone moving to? AA?

9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA looks nice at the moment. Who knows what the merger will bring, though. AS is also a top contender for US flyers, since they work with quite a few other airlines.