New to air miles - after some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Diamonds, Nov 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Diamonds

Diamonds New Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone

I wouldn't necessarily say i'm a frequent flyer as such, but I do go away around three times a year - however usually using different companies to fly with and stay.
    But my main reason to post is that I traveled to Thailand last summer with British Airways, and myself and my boyfriend collected a number of air miles each as a result of the journey - 11,838 avios points./ 70 tier points. We are intending on using these points to book a trip in Feb time, we are located in the UK, and have been looking at some trips to Venice, Rome - I have calculated from the website that it's around 1049 avios points to get to Rome for us for example, so we have plenty of avios points for this.

Now i've had a look and on BA it does say that you can use your airmiles towards staying at hotels, so I was wondering how to go about using the airmiles towards a package offer with a flight and hotel from the BA website? Further still, how can you calculate the avios points towards the deal to see how many avios points you need and savings etc.

Any tips or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

satman40 and Slow_Mustang like this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard. Not sure how you came up with your calculations but I don't see anything near that on the BA site. From what I see, you're looking at 15,000 miles per person round-trip. You can use fewer miles by paying more cash but when you look at the cost of the flights, it hardly seems to make sense.

As for hotels, when you click "Executive Club" on the top and then "Spending Avios", the bar at the left will have an option that says "Book Hotels with Avios". Follow that to get the information you want but again, I don't see one hotel that you can get one night for with that amount of points.

Sorry to be a downer but 11,000 Avios doesn't get much in terms of what you're looking for.

satman40 and Kalboz like this.
  3. GibsonJaime

GibsonJaime New Member

Status Points:
    As for hotels, when you click "Executive Club" on the top and then "Spending Avios", the bar at the left will have an option that says "Book Hotels with Avios". Follow that to get the information you want but again, I don't see one hotel that you can get one night for with that amount of points.

satman40 and Kalboz like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    On BA's US website showing, as @Steven Schwartz stated, two passengers from LHR - FCO in economy for mid May travel is 30K Avios plus $110

Maybe rates are different on BA's UK website with something called Club Europe - but still, 1049 Avios is a very low rate.

Regardless, welcome to milepoint @Diamonds :)

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sounds like your goals are focused,

In this country, we'd apply for a BA Credit Card, and have our traveling friends do the same..

Nothing builds miles faster than new credit card application..

Welcome to MP....

Kalboz likes this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't advice with your question but welcome to Milepoint!

satman40 likes this.
  7. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    No advice here, either, but it's weird that @GibsonJaime's only post is to copy what @Steven Schwartz wrote verbatim 3 months ago. Unfortunately @Diamonds hasn't returned to provide an update.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    eponymous_coward and satman40 like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see she is focused on the airline to travel, and the place they want to go.

This is great, I see too many accumulating point, and not having the slightest idea they want to go, nor the airline required for the trip desired.

I sent some drink coupons to a first poster, he thanked me and I do not think he has posted again, I am always glad to see new posters, and new blood...

I have been missing a few regulars, and then they pop up again...

Grass looks good, when you are on this side of it....

Kalboz likes this.
  9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pity that @Diamonds hasn't been back in three+ months, and the thread became active again because @GibsonJaime decided to copypasta someone else's post that was languishing for three+ months...

I suspect we're talking into an echo chamber of a spam thread. :(

Kalboz and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of the posts here are repeats.

Some dream, Some DO.

I find very few succeed, in truth not all care,, and the majority just show up and hope for the best...

At least with MP. many do stay on track...

11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know we not only have mileage junkies here at Milepoint, we also have philosophers! Love it.

Dublin_rfk and Kalboz like this.