New ticker symbol: 'AAMRQ' - not all that catchy!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMR, of course, is being "de-listed" by the N.Y.S.E. You can no longer trade its shares there. It now is traded in the "OTCQB marketplace, operated by OTC Markets Group," with the symbol AAMRQ. And no, I didn't buy any!

sobore and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When USAir buys AA, do we think AAMRQ holdings will become USAir stock?

3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fun to cogitate, but the general line of thought is that the existing classes of shareholders in a Chapter 11 reorg (except for "prepackaged" reorgs, which American's isn't) more often than not have their shares wiped out. If US Airways were to buy them, they would buy the assets, not the stock. At least that's how I (neither a CFP nor a bankruptcy lawyer) understand it.

4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry...I was completely kidding. My (lack of) humor doesn't translate over the interwebs.

basiface likes this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem. In fact your humor almost *did* translate, which is why I put "fun to cogitate" in my reply.

I even was trying to fool around with some investment "pun" regarding "Dividend Miles," but couldn't come up with one.

However, elsewhere in the AA forums there was actually some hopeful and sincere thinking that maybe people could make serious money by buying AA shares now. I and another poster (HaveMilesWillTravel, if I recall ) did our best to tell folks to be extremely careful based on how those things usually go. And so in this thread I decided to throw a little caution in here too in case somebody might read that about US Airways shares and innocently say "wow." . . . I just wouldn't want a sincere but optimistic investment beginner to have his arse handed to him on a platter, at least without a warning! :)

HaveMilesWillTravel and John777 like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    DO NOT BUY aamrq....its a token ticker symbol to liquidate existing positions so that tax lots can be established. Wait for the new shares to be listed if you're inclined to buy the new AA. the old shares are essentially worthless. The only way the shares would regain value is if they pulled their bankruptcy filing back as if it never happened, and thats certainly not going to be the case here.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only a fool would speculate on aamrq......it may move a few pennies a day, but you need to rotate 1000's of dollars to try to make any money. One day AMMRQ will stop trading and holders would be screwed. But like they say, a fool and his money are easily parted.

8. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will pass on this loser. Appreciate all prior comments...

9. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tickers on the OTC Markets are almost all 5 letters, FINRA issues the ticker using the same convention as Nasdaq,
    the 5th character is used to classify the status or type of security.
    In the case of AMMRQ - The Q means the company is involved in Bankruptcy

Side Note for anyone who cares:
    DLAKY is Lufthansa which trades on OTC, the Y at the end of the ticker means it is an ADR or a negotiable security that represents LH's stock so it can be traded on a US exchange.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ADR= American Depository Receipt......

11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Junk stock = worthless

mundosurfer and Lufthansa Flyer like this.