New Terminal Opens in Winnipeg, October 30, 2011

Discussion in 'Airports' started by Golden Toque, Oct 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning, the new terminal at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International airport officially opened. Information on the Winnipeg Airport can be found on their site.

First impressions from my visit this morning are that the new terminal is more spacious, but thoughtfully laid out, so that the speed of transit that travellers are accustomed to at the old terminal is maintained in this new, modern building.

Each check-in kiosk, check-in station and bag drop area, as well as all gates are not carrier specific. This means when you enter the departures level, you are just a few short steps from your airline's counter, and once airside during most times throughout the day, the gates closest to security will be used for many of the departures. Security, now consists of 7 or 8 lanes for domestic departures, so the long lines of the past at peak times should be eliminated, provided proper staffing levels are maintained.

The Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge is located between gates 8 and 9, and although seemingly smaller than the previous lounge, it actually provides more seating, and a nice quiet area to help relax during a long layover or flight delays.

The only thing I could see that might be of concern, is the small amount of seating adjacent to each gate. Although more seats overall than the previous airport, because of the linear layout of gates, if adjacent gates are in use, seating may be an issue during peak times or delay.

[​IMG]

ACMM likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news and congratulations to YWG!

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points: