New "Suite Policy" on hotel Announcements pages

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SC Flier, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many SPG hotels have recently a posted "Suite Policy" on their Announcements pages.

Among these are statements about whether suites must be booked directly with the hotel, what restrictions are in place for entertaining in suites, maximum occupancy, and outside food and beverage.

At the Westin Casuarina, Las Vegas, the Suite Policy is particularly alarming though not particularly surprising given their track record:
    "Suites are unavailable at this hotel, either for sale or as an upgrade option. Please contact the hotel for further information."

Among its 826 total rooms, this hotel has just 10 suites: four 2-bedroom suites and six 1-bedroom suites. Funny that the rest of the website still mentions their suites and that they are still presented on the Rooms webpage.

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do we need a definition of a "party" at the W Dallas? No "parties," but you can invite your friends over to "hang out."

Suite Policy:
    "Suites may not be reserved for parties."

Marvelous Suite description:
    "Stay Marvelous! Take in the view from the sunny angled corner that juts out over the landscape. Invite friends over to hang out in the living room illuminated by floor-to-ceiling windows. Listen to a CD, curled up on the window-sized chaise or pop in a DVD from the W collection on the living room’s wall mounted 42” plasma TV. The Marvelous Suite features a dining table for 6, and an oversized desk."

Compare to the Westin Buckhead's Suite Policy:
    "To ensure the safety of our guests, we allow no more than 15 people in our Junior Suite, 20 people in the Presidential Suite, and 15 people in the Governor's Suite. Functions must be terminated by 10pm. Outside food and beverage is not allowed. All food and/or beverages can be purchased through room service."

DYKWIA likes this.
  3. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    South Beach:

Suite Usage

While the sky’s the limit, we do not allow events in our Penthouses. If you’re looking to host an intimate affair, our catering team will assist with fulfilling your every desire for you and 6 of your nearest and dearest guests.

4. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of the Westin Casuarina, lots of strange things besides suite policies on the "announcements" pages of various properties. At its 'sister' property in Cayman, you can't order a pizza or buy a soft drink from the store across the street!

Cheers,

flyingdawg and SC Flier like this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not surprising that they don't allow it, but the reason is surprising: "To protect our guests and associates...."

I've seen similar bans against outside F&B on many of the Suite Policies. (See the Westin Buckhead's policy in post #2 above.)

6. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've seen it too. Usually it's in specific reference to catering, etc... for suite and/or other party rentals. This is the first I have ever seen that completely bans outside F&B for guests. This property, FWIW, is infamous for never giving suite upgrades anyway. Legend has it there's only one suite, reserved for the owners.

And yes, the rationale really is suspect isn't it? Having been to Cayman more times than I can count, I am intimately familiar with all the local nuances. This one, in my view, is something they just made up. At the Sunshine Suites across the road, for example, all of the rooms even have mini kitchens! The notion there is some kind of "danger" to guests or staff is simply preposterous. It's obviously meant to protect on property F&B sales.

Cheers,

SC Flier likes this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was once told by a front desk clerk when checking in to the Casuarina LV for a 1-night stay that, yes, there was a suite vacant that night, but they weren't renting it because the owners were coming the next day and would be staying in it. I'd have been happier if he'd just said that none were available -- as I heard every other time that I ever stayed there.

Doesn't that help protect the associates? (by protecting their income)

8. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps. On the other hand, it could hurt their incomes because customers decide it's a stupid rule and decide to stay at the aforementioned Sunshine Suites across the road. Or at any of the other dozens of fine properities in Cayman...

Cheers,

jupper and SC Flier like this.
  9. MITsbm

MITsbm Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow, so if I want to have a Papa John's Pizza then I can not eat it in the room that I (or my employer) rented!

That would make me reconsider whether I want to stay at a property as I often eat "outside" food in my room. I find room service to be too expensive when trying to stay within the alloted per-diem.

SC Flier likes this.
  10. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I gues any info is better than none. Of course I wish SPG.com listed the # of suites, jr. suites, deluxe rooms, standard rooms, etc. at each property.

11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some properties are really good about this. Obviously some others are not. In my database for my Google Earth mapping files, I've often made note of these. I'll see if I can pull such data out for the upcoming SPG wiki pages here on MP.

Downunder girl likes this.
  12. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That would be so helpful instead of us trying to guess all the time. What would be even better is in the search result it listed what sort of a room it was using the guidelines you mentioned.

13. Downunder girl
    Original Member

Downunder girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would really like to see the info on number of suites available at properties too. I can easily find this info on the IHG site for their properties so it would be nice if Starwood did the same. It can also help to align your expectations for suite upgrades. If you know going in that there are only 4 suites out of 400+ rooms, you can understand why you may not get your Plat upgrade at that property.

MSPeconomist and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish they had a clear listing of the room categories at each property in order from best to worst or vv.

Downunder girl and DYKWIA like this.
  15. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if that would work. As often discussed, people who do not receive a suite upgrade log onto the SPG site and then call the FD to say they see that property has "a suite" available on line when they check in. Unless each property clearly states they have X number of select standard suites, then it's this will only cause more problems.

Even then we'll have the DYKWIA types that will see that a property has X number of select standard suites, doesn't get one, then will look online and say, "hey I'm platinum, you have suites above select standard available why don't you upgrade me to one of those?". Although they know a property doesn't have to upgrade beyond Select Standard. Then next we'll hear"......well at X property they didn't have any select standard suites but they upgraded me to x type of suite anyway, why can't you do that?"

I think the listing are great in theory, but execution and managing expectations will be a P.I.A. as each property has different inventory. Including this information may add more problems.

16. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they should provide a list only to MilePoint, for our members' use only, as none of us would ever be like that, right?

17. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:

LMAO!:p

18. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ditto

19. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's poor reasoning. The DYKWIA jerks will do their thing no matter what. I say save many of us the hassle and let us manage our expectations by knowing the room-suite ratio. I know that if a property had a TON of jr. suites I'd be happy knowing I had a good chance at one of those vs a suite. Knowledge is power.

SC Flier likes this.
  20. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not poor reasoning. What I'm saying is that it will create an additional basket or problems and expectations. Cleaning and maintenance issues. The property may say they have 4 select standard suites but due to maintenance they had to take one out and here comes a DYKWIA a-hole demanding to be upgraded because of what they read online but has no idea what is taking place on the back office end. Then well have the types that will call to be up graded beyond our published benefits.

IMHO, this will cause more and or new problems.

21. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    What on earth led to that policy?

Oh, wait, I don't care. I don't stay at that property anymore, although I am happy to take advantage of the generous video poker.

Mike