New SPG App for iPhone

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SPG Champion 3, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SPG Champion 3
    Original Member

SPG Champion 3 Official Representative

Status Points:
    Exciting news for our iPhone users; we have launched our brand new SPG App for iPhone today.

The new App leverages innovative “state-aware” technology, allowing you to enjoy a smarter travel experience and quick access to the information you need, when you need it, at any point during your stay. There is easy access to your SPG member information and upcoming stays; also, the ability to manage and book reservations without leaving the app. You can connect directly to your hotel’s information and amenities during your stay - all in one app that spans across all of our brands and hotels.

For more information and to download the App, visit http://spgapp.starwoodhotels.com/spg/ (and don’t forget to leave a review and tell us what you think!)

Carrie Houston
    Social Media Supervisor
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

spgchampion@starwoodhotels.com

2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And once again, SPG has completely ignored the fastest growing sector of smartphone users...ANDROID!!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wouldn't go that far. They already have invested in an app and redone it. Even if Android has a growing base of customers due to the fact Android is available on a ton of brands, iPhone users are about 30% of the market on ONE brand and at ONE store. Much less of an undertaking for any app builder, especially when you already have an iPhone app. Don't worry, I'm sure SPG is working on it

That said, I played with the app today and it has some huge improvements. Well done!

jbcarioca, CharlesG and schnitzel like this.
  5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, from what u have told by SPG, they are not working on it.

So iOS is 30% of smartphone users...what about the other 70%?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. SPG Champion 3
    Original Member

SPG Champion 3 Official Representative

Status Points:
    Thanks for your feedback. We're evaluating other platforms and will announce here if we release an Android app in the future. In the meantime, please feel free to use our mobile optimized websites on any smartphone device.

Carrie Houston
    Social Media Supervisor
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

spgchampion@starwoodhotels.com

jbcarioca and tommy777 like this.
  7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, this is a change from prior statements that said "We're working on Android." :(

Many of your major competitors have apps on platforms other than iOS - I hope you'll follow their lead on that.

jbcarioca and garyst16 like this.
  8. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Evaluating?". = Willing to lose customers from 69%* of the market in the meantime. Those same customers feel even less valued when your "mobile optimized websites" render on Android tablets.

* I also own webOS devices. It is also possible Microsoft has some customers, somewhere.

jbcarioca and ssullivan like this.
  9. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with most of these sentiments, and I actually own webOS devices mostly (although I do have an iPod touch, which is how I saw the app). Maybe because I use webOS, I don't expect every app to come to my phone. I used to complain about the propensity of developers to only develop for iOS until I read these:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/20/di...s-love-ios-iphone-4x-android-revenue-ipad-2x/

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/28/the-truth-about-android-vs-iphone-market-share/

Developers lose very little making apps only for iOS.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. But apps like SPG are not about the money you make from an app (it is a free app). They are about what business that app can bring to your brands, or by neglect drive toward competitors.

I agree that being a webOS owner I should have lower expectations. The fact remains if I have three cloud facing appliances that can book Marriott or Intercontinental with geo-spatial awareness in a tap or two, SPG will lose out on those bookings made through such impulse driven sales channels.

11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I like the redone app, I don’t understand why it doesn’t show me in Reservation Detail the rate I’ll be paying for my stay. To me, this is an important aspect and makes it easy to ensure that my rate card on checking in matches my reservation.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    These two points are why I just go to then main site rather than use the app. I'll continue to try as it develops, but so far it really does little for me.

13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up on this.

jbcarioca likes this.