New site- comments and suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Oct 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm seeing lots of comments, complaints, and suggestions posted in all different places here, on Facebook, and in private conversations. Perhaps it would help to have a dedicated thread for this stuff.

So, to start it out:
    A) On the forum front page, https://insideflyer.com/forums/ where it lists the threads with the most recent posts, those listings should include the date of the post, and if there is space, the name of the poster. Otherwise, we don't know if the latest post is new or weeks old, or whether we've read it.

2) The logout button is buried in a very non-intuitive location under our profile. It needs to be right out front- people need to visit InsideFlyer while they are on the road, often in borrowed computers. (think hotel business centers).

III) I hate all the white space. Yes, it makes the site look fresh and "modern", but two big problems. It uses so much screen real estate that it forces us to keep scrolling up and down. Also, while white space is great in graphic design for printed material, it is terrible in computer screens. They are totally different media. Paper reflects light- screens project light. So, white space on screen means we are staring right into a white light, it's very tiring on the eyes.

Lionell, PanAm, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  2. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    there is no luxury forum button !

Sammich, Kaanapali and Gargoyle like this.
  3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Check and fix your links. The How NOT to Get Upgraded post features on the right sidebar takes you to How to Cook In Your Hotel Room.
    2) The Lifemiles offer is confusing and/or incomplete. Once you sign up, there is no next step that I can find.

PS - Hi Gargy!

iolaire, Sammich, Kaanapali and 2 others like this.
  4. Trustguy
    Original Member

Trustguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The font on the full site is very small. That sort of is an add-on comment with the amount of white space.

Counsellor, iolaire, Sammich and 3 others like this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Unnecessarily large amount of scrolling. There are numerous approaches to help solve that:
    --Full width instead of fixed width.
    --Remove the content bar for logged in users (or enable hiding it).
    --Compact some of the user tidbits. I don't really care to see post count/likes/status points - they can live on the profile pages.

2. Speed. This site is amazingly slow; multiple seconds to start rendering and an easy 10 seconds to get to a usable state. Webpagetest.org has a few pretty graphs to help.

3. Plenty of UI fixes to make this a more usable experience. Anything from new posts link, to confusing spammy title link at the top that looks like a page title. Header is far too busy (contact link and others can quite easily go into the footer).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    PanAm, iolaire, Sammich and 4 others like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And another one- the little "notification center" in the upper right, under our avatar. There are three entries with little icons, "your profile page", "conversations" "alerts". For each notification in conversations or alerts a number also appears by the profile page icon, so, for example, if you have 1 new conversations and 5 thread alerts, the icons will be as shown below with numbers 6, 1, 5. It's confusing and causes people to click extra and page load more than they need to.

The "6" is redundant, better that is just a link to the profile page with no notification numbers.

notification_center.jpg

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like that actually

[Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk]

Sammich, Kaanapali and Gargoyle like this.
  8. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The teeny tiny login person/button is not all that intuitive. The page is way too busy to find it.

ETA - On my windows 8 desktop, every time I move my cursor to the right over the login icon, Windows slides out a menu bar so I have about 2 pixels to try to find a spot where I can actually click login.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The compose post dialog for those who chose to turn off rich-text is all sorts of broken. The only formatting icons are font color and emoji (though the latter used to not work so I guess that's an upgrade). I used to have the full complement.

iolaire, genemk2, Sammich and 3 others like this.
  10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with most of the above comments - in short it looks a bit like the redesigned FT site, but only with most of that site's redesign faults and few of its benefits. The font size is frankly, ridiculous, given all the white space available. New does not necessarily mean better.

1) Date/time of posts on headline page is really important. Who wants to click on an old article (e.g., for example, about a new promotion...that is not really...new...or even valid anymore?)?

2) Login/logout - I had so much trouble logging in this morning; the intuitive placement of these buttons/icons is of paramount importance in maintaining and growing a website. Right now it is anything but intuitive. As of this morning, the side login button would NOT accept Milepoint member names/passwords. Instead you had to go to Miles and Points forums to get to another login icon....and that finally worked.

3) Scrolling - As someone once said, time is money. Scrolling over empty space is wasted time, and thus wasted money for anyone on site.

4) Chat rooms - At least in one chat forum, new posts are being placed "backwards" in time...ie a post made today is showing up about a week ago. Needless to say, this makes it very hard to actually follow/respond to a chat conversation.

5) Speed - Lack thereof. The page loads/refreshes as if it was on AOL 3.2 on 14.4 dialup. For anyone under the age of 30 here, think of a time without smartphones.

6) Beta - Clearly this is a beta website (or at least I hope it is beta!). I hope soon beta becomes better.

Tenmoc, iolaire, Sammich and 3 others like this.
  11. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mostly backend stuff...

Design etc. has been covered by other members here.

Security
    1) DH Group Vulnerability fix
    Code:
    #Generate new DH group with 4096 bit

openssl dhparam -out dhparams.pem 4096

#Edit nginx config file and add the following

ssl_dhparam [path to file]

#Reload nginx

2) Don't accept RC4 cipher.

Performance
    1) Since you guys seem to be running the front page on Wordpress...
    W3 Total Cache Plug-in

2) Opcache APC on Page Cache and Database cache.

3) Enable Browser cache.

4) CDN, existing Amazon works well. But alternatives can be sought depending on data centre location. (lots out there)

5) UK data center isn't suitable for a majorly American audience (for .com at least). Perhaps New York will work better if you want a compromise between Europe and N.A.,

6) Double-check php5-fpm's configuration...is it overloading the server, by any chance? Tweak it a bit .

7) Not sure if minify will help you guys, I've always had issues with it and never used it. Worth a test.

8) I don't know how the server configuration is but you can always run an external SQL server. Or even a load balancer.

Will update when I find more.

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sammich likes this.
  13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Old site had an alway present up arrow at the bottom of the screen, to shoot you back to the top of the page. New site requires way more scrolling than the old site, so that arrow is needed more than every.

snap, Tenmoc and Sammich like this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does not ctrl-page up do the same?
    As another way?

Sammich likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ctrl+Home does, (Firefox on WinXP). Nice, didn't know that shortcut, thanks!

Ctrl-page up flips me to the previous open tab in Firefox.

I'll try on Win10 later. Won't bother trying on Android, since the mobile app doesn't work, I don't have tapatalk, and the desktop is unreadable on my phone.

Sammich and ACMM like this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I meant Crtl-Home.

Gargoyle and Sammich like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not on my iPad, I think :)

But I can tap the top of the screen.

Way too much scrolling... Page me when that has improved.

Counsellor, Gargoyle and ACMM like this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D Details Details and I was wrong it was CTRL-HOME - but that does not help you either :)

Gargoyle and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Can't thank you enough. This is the type of exchange that keeps me in the game - I admire the process of sharing. We actually had our Wordpress on WPEngine but had to move to Nimbus as we needed same server for session ID for many of the things planned. And the global network was overthought. Luckily the integrity of the platform is solid and with follow up on these are other members respected feedback this is hopefully a short tuneup. Again, I can't thank you enough for helpful and clear feedback.

20. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is creating wailing and gnashing of teeth more than any other problem reported. It's like announcing a new NBA team with flashy uniforms, nice colors, a beautiful arena...and none of then can dribble the ball or shoot a jump shot.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The notifications/messages indicators are hard to find.

Sammich likes this.
  22. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I have more issues ( page reboots) with an iPad on IOS 9.? than with a win platform

alfagirl and Sammich like this.
  23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if the Tapatalk app works on the iPad but maybe worth a try?

Sammich likes this.
  24. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will take some time to get used to, but im not unhappy with the change. My only complaint at this point is the site seems much slower to load and scroll than milepoint.com was.

25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    By using the app I am seeing no difference. Speed is there for me. Tracking is good.