New Sign-up Bonuses

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jazzmanfl, Mar 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jazzmanfl

jazzmanfl Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone! Thank you again for how helpful and welcoming everyone has been.

I have not applied for a new credit card in several years, largely because I never wanted it to negatively affect my credit score. Recently though, due in part to a devaluation by my current rewards card, I've been looking to add a new card to my wallet to serve as my primary card. Through reading and participating in this forum, I'm close to making a final decision and will likely go with the Club Carlson card because my goal is to maximize the number of free hotel stays I earn each year, and their award night bonus seems incredible. Before proceeding, I'm curious to hear any thoughts you can share on two topics:

(1) Timing of New Sign-up Bonuses
    Do new sign-up bonuses tend to happen seasonally or just randomly during the year? I've read about some amazing sign-up bonuses in the past 1-2 years, such as the Capital One Venture 100,000 miles bonus. It appears that was announced in March of 2011 and March of 2012. Since you're all much more experienced than I am with this, I'm wondering if there are particular seasons when cards typically announce new sign-up bonuses. I don't want to apply for a card now and then find that two weeks from now some amazing sign-up bonus gets announced. I'm sure that's always a possibility, but I'm just curious to hear any wisdom you can share on whether there are particular seasons when sign-up bonuses are launched.

(2) Resource to Track Newly Announced Sign-up Bonuses
    On a similar note, I've been looking for a website, blog, or app that lists the latest new sign-up bonuses. Does anyone have a go-to, one-stop resource that lists the best new sign-up bonuses as they're announced?

Thanks very much!

GoodBoy, marcwint55 and jwsky like this.
  2. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the bloggers will list the sign ups that they are promoting. I like Frequent Flyer Miles by Gary Stiegler. http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.com/index.htm He seems to try and include all offers and mentions when it helps him. One of his pages is called "whats new"

GoodBoy and marcwint55 like this.
  3. jazzmanfl

jazzmanfl Member

Status Points:
    Thank you @jwsky for sharing for sharing Gary's website - very helpful!

GoodBoy and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    some other sites to check out that always have good info are thepointsguy.com and boardingarea.com. The latter has many bloggers and I regularly read almost all of the blogs as there is always valuable information out there.

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should also follow this thread on Flyertalk because it links to discussions about each card and because you don't have to worry that maybe the blogger is pushing a card to get a commission:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread.html

But more than everything, don't ever believe that any one person, any one blog or any one website has all the best info you need. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DOING YOUR OWN RESEARCH, because only you know your own situation, your own needs and goals and what works best for you. Your talking about your own credit worthiness. It's not something you want to take lightly.

Concerning your other question.... From what I've seen the past 3 years or so, there is no real pattern to when companies make new offers. Or if there is/has been a pattern, it can and will change at any time.

Good luck and happy traveling.

GoodBoy likes this.