New Service Shares Your Medical Information

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jul 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/new-service-shares-your-medical-information/

Most travelers know to get immunizations ahead of time and to pack their prescriptions in carry-ons. A new Web site called Emergencylink.com takes health preparedness one step further by allowing travelers to upload their medical records and designate a contact in their social network who has access to their information in case of emergency.

Unlike other paid-plan medical programs, the free service does not arrange treatment or evacuation. Instead, it operates a 24-hour line that emergency medical technicians can call to treat a traveler who is mentally incapacitated. (A traveler’s member ID card includes the number.) Emergencylink.com then provides information, including insurance, medications and allergies, and then calls the emergency contact, who can be patched through to E.M.T.’s and reach out to a traveler’s family members and hospital if a stay is required.

Read More: http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/new-service-shares-your-medical-information/

2. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I was incapacitated how would they know who to contact? They have to dig into my wallet. Seems all unnecessary. If I carry a card in my wallet (mine or emergencylink's) that says call this person in an emergency, I could have given the trusted person the medical information and they can relay it however is best to the medical personnel who need it.

Better yet why not just write down all the medications and contact phone numbers and stick it in your wallet. That is what most of my older patients do. In a real emergency the time may not be there to go through this scenario.

3. EmergnecyLink

EmergnecyLink New Member

Status Points:
    Greetings Emajy,
    One of the benefits of EmergencyLink that cannot be matched with a piece of paper in your wallet is that if you are in an accident, and the first responders dial our number, we will in turn begin to call the names listed on your Emergency Contacts list to inform them of your situation. Sometimes patients can be in the hospital for weeks without their relatives knowing their whereabouts or condition- we help make that problem a thing of the past!

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure that happens. Not quite sure how likely that is, though, and wouldn't a piece of paper with "in case of emergency call my wife at ..." accomplish the same? In face I suspect if one day I didn't show up, she'd after a while start calling the local hospitals if I don't answer my phone or email.

In any case... Welcome to MilePoint!

emajy likes this.
  5. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to me it seems more of a high tech solution looking for the problem. Two calls made instead of one.
    Best of luck with your service

bonnerbl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.