New Seasonal Menu at Hyatt Places?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while since I stayed at a HP, so when I checked into the HP Sarasota tonight and decided that I didn't want to go out for dinner after traveling all day, I was surprised that my food options extended beyond the standard burger, sandwiches, salads and soups. On the bar was a "seasonal menu":

hp_menu.JPG

I don't recall reading about it here or on FT. Is this new or only at this particular location? I guess I will have two or three more HP locations this week to check out.

For what it's worth, I tried the Rosemary Chicken and it was a pretty decent roasted half chicken. A bit pricey, maybe, but the dinner brought me over another multiple-of-$50 so the Costo certificate will pay for most of it.

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks good!

3. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I'd be more than happy to see that in the hotel bar. My hotel of choice is HIX, so I wouldn't know what to do with these sort of options :confused: .

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes these little places can surprise you. Earlier this year we ended up staying a night at the Holiday Inn at Bakersfield and had a really good meal at their restaurant. Not exactly a location where we expected to get tasty food.

5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tasty! Did not see anything similar at the HP MCI or HP COS, last week :(

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The HP I stayed at last night (Ft Myers, FL) didn't have this seasonal menu, and I think (need to double-check) tonight's HP (Estero) doesn't have it. Might be a test. Sarasota just sent me the post-stay survey and I made sure to point out that I liked this offering and would like to see it a regular offering at all HPs.

If HP Estero had this menu, I'd have stayed at the hotel tonight to try the steak. Kind of curious how they can cook a decent steak with their presumably limited equipment/time, but I am willing to find out and take one for the team if needed. Maybe tomorrow night in Orlando.

Wurm likes this.
  7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please report back if MCO location has the steak, I'll be interested to hear whether they will be able to cook it to your specified degree of "done-ness".

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Given that the menu explicitly says that these items are only available until 11pm, I assume it requires more effort from the "cook" than the regular menu items (microwave?), and they can't do that when the front desk/galleria is staffed with just one staff member.

But yeah, I am kind of curious to see the cooking skills of the front desk person in action :D

9. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if related- but I remember being asked to fill out a survey re: Hyatt Place recently. Perhaps more changes are underway?

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Very much looks like it. Just wait for my next thread :)

11. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why, oh Why, oh Why-o didn't I buy more of those Costco certificates when I had the chance?

12. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a fabulous meal at the Four Points Bakersfield -- husband says it's the best Ahi tuna he's ever had. (And he used his Starpoints number to get credit and a "hit" in the US Airways Grand Slam, while I was getting credit for a "hit" for the stay) -- a good time was had by all!

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The shuttle launch that was scrubbed yesterday is turning my 2nd Floriday trip this month into a continuation of the "Tour de Hyatt Place". Let's see if I can discover more culinary peculiarities ;)

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just saw the same seasonal menu at the HP Fremont. One difference: the items were each exactly $1 cheaper. Kind of unexpected... Usually everything in the Bay Area costs more.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Did you sample any of the items? The quality of the food is definitely one of the items I really like about HPs. Overall, my stay experience with them has been just okay. I prefer the room product in the Summerfield Suites property's better, but SS doesn't have the menu that HP does. If they expanded the menu at HP on a permanent basis along the lines of above, that would definitely be a huge point in their favor for me.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I tried the Rosemary Chicken when I first ran across this in Florida and it was pretty decent. Certainly good enough to keep me "in house" if I was hungry and my alternative was driving to some other chain restaurant in the vicinity.

I've only stayed at one (fairly new) Summerfield Suites property and that was quite nice, though I generally don't have any problems with HP if the price is right (< $100).

One of the often mentioned problems with HPs is the odd room layout where you can't see the TV when you're working at the desk. I have now been to at least two properties where they gave me a room with a different layout. I peeked into other rooms, and it the other rooms definitely were standard HP layout, but there seem to be "corner" rooms in at least some properties that I'll in the future ask for.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The layout doesn't bother me as much as the old bathrooms from AmeriSuites conversions or the first prototype. Also, I've found the early build HVAC units a bit loud for my taste. I think SS has much better features in both of these areas. I eat about half my dinners on the road in a hotel, usually so I can work on my laptop and because I don't have a client dinner. So, more robust choices for me would be a big plus.

18. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love if this would spread. Anything that would introduce variety to Hyatt Places. I like very much that there's more than one brand in the Hyatt family, but now after a few years, it would be wonderful if they'd tweak what they can. Sorry if this is a trivial complaint in light of what we get out of the Hyatt Places, but I do believe that this is going to be a growing problem for them if they don't think ahead of it.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As I mentioned in another thread, they are also testing new (free and hot) breakfast offerings in six Hyatt Places, so the folks at Hyatt are definitely thinking about evolving the overall Hyatt Place property over time. Might very well be that they take feedback from forums like this into consideration.

20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I already enjoy the expanded breakfast menu at HP. Love to see it get bigger.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You mean, the oatmeal or biscuits/gravy? I am not an oatmeal person, but the biscuits I was offered at one HP were pretty decent.

This is the thread I mentioned in which I reported their breakfast items trial:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/hyatt-testing-free-hot-breakfast-items-at-hyatt-places.9471/

I've only seen it at one Hyatt Place (and they told me it's being tested at six nationwide). I think on FT someone else reported seeing these somewhere.

22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No, the items you can purchase. I had missed the thread you cited. Those options look great. I really am quite pleased that Hyatt is trying to make HP a better brand. When I compare HP to other similar brands, I'm already pretty happy in comparison.