New rules for transferring Starwood Points to another Starwood account

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Vertigo, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This paragraph was just added to SPG T&C:

"11.2 You may transfer Starpoints from one Starwood Preferred Guest Account to another Account under specific conditions. Both accounts must have been active for at least 30 days. Except for SVO members, both members must have the same residential mailing address and cannot be a P.O. Box, APO or SPO address. SVO Owner members may transfer Starpoints to another SVO Owner member account, regardless of the address on each Account. Starwood reserves the right to refuse any transfers."

2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to be dense, but what's an SVO Owner? Does transferring points cost money? Presumably everyone at a company could do this if they registered their work address?

3. SAN-man
    Original Member

SAN-man Active Member

Status Points:
    SVO = Starwood Vacation Ownership

I can't tell what's new about this paragraph though. I know you always had to have the same address on the accounts. Is it that it's required to be a residential address now?

FWIW, the address requirement isn't that big of a deal. You can easily change your mailing address online and then request to move the points. I've given a few points to my brother this way before, to top off his account for a stay.

4. amejr999
    Original Member

amejr999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be careful with this-- SPG is auditing transfers closely now, so last-minute address changes could get your account flagged, especially if it happens frequently.

5. TravelGuy1965
    Original Member

TravelGuy1965 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is new is the 30 day requirement. For example I opened an account for my sister who is living with us but cannot transfer points to her until 30 days is past. I wanted to do this to get her points to top off points in one of her airline accounts but need to wait. This 30 day requirement is new.

Plus as amejr999 indicates scrutinizing if people are miss using the option.
    My advice is to only use the option for the intended purpose.
    I would not try to work around it by using business addresses or other avenues.

travelingmore likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    SVO is Starwood Vacation Ownership. In other words, owners of a Starwood Timeshare.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's been a lot of fraud I'm sure. Folks opening new accounts and getting points dumped into it, to facilitate trades and sale of their points which is prohibited.

They used to do the transfers instantly but slowed it down in order to be able to audit.

This is all about finding ways to enforce the rules that were already in place, which is that folks who actually share a household can share and pool points but that this isn't meant as a backdoor way to transfer miles into all sorts of folks' accounts.

Slowing down trnasfers.. requiring accounts be open for 30 days before being eligible to participate in the transaction... and of course changing addresses in order to make a transfer may well cause some scrutiny from Accounts Integrity.

Sad in a way, Starwood has changed lots of procedures because of bad apple members abusing their systems. Status matches take a lot longer than they used to. Points transfers take longer than they used to. Systems in place which inconvenience the majortiy of members because of misbehavior of a few members. Personally I worry that Starwood is focusing too much on the bad members and ignoring costs to the good ones, but I also do understand the concerns they have and don't expect them just to ignore those.