New rules for status qualifying / no qualifying points.

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Vertigo, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Silver Member

Status Points:
    T&C have just been changed to reflect it...

Points for Elite Status – For purposes of determining Elite Status, Priority Club points are classified as either Elite Qualifying Points or Non-Elite Qualifying Points. Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, PCR Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status. A Qualifying Rate includes the following: non-discounted rate, standard corporate rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by the IHG HOLIDEX® Plus reservation system. All other point earning transactions, including promotional points, points vouchers, points purchase, points transfers, and points deposits, will be considered Non-Elite Qualifying Points and will not be counted towards elite status.

2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Given that elite status doesn't actually grant any benefits, good luck getting anyone to try to qualify for those :p

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  3. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new T&C is ridiculous if PC perks stay the same - I wouldn't even bother to 'qualify' for it. Don't know what they are doing but I think it's definitely a poor 'enhancement'.

viguera likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great. There goes my Gold status and all the benefits that go with it. :D

viguera likes this.
  5. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the branded Visa: no worries. No paid stays, or other stuff, are required to maintain Plat status.

FlyingBear and anabolism like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I was waiting for the official T&C to figure out what my plans are, but I think I'm throwing out my PC status as well. Hilton can go along with it as well... :)

At the end of the day the appeal of the IHG program was how easy you could earn points, primarily by stacking promos. Now it looks like you have to earn the elite status -- which in itself wouldn't be that bad, if any of their elite status tiers were actually worth a damn. :)

I'm sure they see the problem with the dilution of the tier value when you have too many elite members, but unless they revamp their setup so that you get guaranteed perks regardless of the property -- or some kind of compensation if that perk is not available -- then it's still pretty much worthless to be anything short of Ambassador (and even that might be questionable).

Still, I'm sure this is all moot if they allow people to buy up to Ambassador for $200. After that, that's instant Gold plus PC points.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, maybe the plan is to re-vamp the loyalty program and provide better, more solid benefits to elites. If not, then this news does not phase me one bit based on the current program.

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I'm actually inclined the other way... there are only so many days in a year, and I certainly didn't mind spending "a few" nights at IHG properties to solidify my Gold/Platinum status for the year via points rather than nights.

But I suspect I'm precisely the type of customer they're trying to "weed out" with these changes... if I'm only going to earn 15-20k points (or something like that) from 10 nights rather than make instant Gold/Platinum by stacking the promos, then I'll probably put those 10 nights into SPG and buy my way up the IHG tiers with an RA cert from eBay.

I suppose (hope) the promos will still stack (hopefully) so you can earn a truckload of points and use them for reward nights or points & cash.

sobore likes this.
  9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah if you are living in the right countries - I live in Scandinavia and please let me know if I can get a CC that gives me status.

You never know, they might also change the rules for their CC too - it might be like Marriott - gives you some elite nights and you still have to earn your status.

viguera likes this.
  10. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this change! If it will result in better more focused treatment of frequent stayers. I hit 100k points by mid feb this year, with 100 nights and 700k points I have the same status as someone who stacked some bonus for 3 stays.

TheBeerHunter and sendaiben like this.
  11. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't you have the option to stay at a decent chain? ;)

12. man on the move.

Status Points:
    Sometimes... But there is an ic across the street from office in the main locations I have been working or it is the company preferred rate in many markets. Either way, most of the time it is not my choice.

Cashing in points for London, Singapore, Bangkok is still pretty nice. The holiday inn on ko phi phi would never had been discovered by me if not for priority club. Right now we have enough points for 90 nights.....

viguera likes this.
  13. Jumping Jehosaphat
    Original Member

Jumping Jehosaphat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually only reached Platinum status due to living in a hotel for work for apparently 81 days over the course of 2011-12 (over the new year change, so they stacked) anyway.
    But I still don't see why they hate their members. -_-

14. Back up your comment with something substantive please.

15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does Platinum status get you at an InterContinental (e.g., Berlin)?

foxberg likes this.
  16. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A rotten apple and a bottle of stale water. Seriously, though, you'd get "some" upgrade to what they consider to be an upgrade, maybe get a free internet, late check out. But overall not much. I've been getting better deals at Marriott being a Silver then at IHG being a PL AMB.

anabolism likes this.
  17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's kind of what I figured.

"That, and 8 euros, gets you a cup of coffee."

foxberg likes this.
  18. man on the move.

Status Points:
    RA is the only IC status of significance.

In the end it is about the choices in the cities you visit. I have been top tier in 4 different hotel brands, and they were all good to me.

HH was the best in the 80s
    6CC in the 90s
    Marriott / Starwood in the 00s
    Back to IC in the 10s

None of these are what they used to be. Same as every other frequent program, the benefits are not that big of a deal. Free nights in the basic rooms are not a perk! The upgrades to a room with a better view, free breakfast or something similar is also not a perk. Just reserve a better room, or ask about a paid upgrade at checking, as these always are better than the free stuff.

Last paid upgrades has resulted in very great rooms, at a serious discount. $100 per night extra on the corp rate landed a presidential suite....

guinnessxyz likes this.
  19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free breakfast and Internet can be very helpful perks, what with many properties charging outrageous sums for these.

20. One thing I've noted in my last few stays at some IC's. when the corp rate is quite cheap they narrow the room types available and it sometimes results in getting an upgrade that is not a suite but just a better king exec room. I just stayed at the IC in BKK at a cost of $103 a night and got lounge access and all other perks of being RA but they would not in the end give me a suite. The room I got was plenty and was on a high floor so I really can't complain as I was travelling alone.

21. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you were traveling alone, what difference would the size of the room make? Or even with your SO?

To me, thick walls/doorway slightly removed from the bedroom (I don't want to hear anyone) and free wi-fi are most important, as well as having a discernible difference in water temperature. What do I need extra space/other amenities for, to be randomly charged for them/to build a fort? Just a bit o' IMO.

22. I don't disagree with you but I often travel with my wife and most of the time have work to do, so a suite is helpful. one must also remember that hotels track your stays with them and training them to give out room you want is part of the exercise.

man on the move. likes this.
  23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    To some extent, sure, but on the other hand, the size, layout, and feel of the room can make a difference. At one extreme, I've stayed in hotels where there was literally no floor space at all (could reach the bed from the toilet). Once a room has enough space, windows, etc. and feels comfortable, getting bigger and grander has diminishing returns; a massive suite is impressive but honestly doesn't make as much difference.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  24. man on the move.

Status Points:
    That's what you booked, but if you enquire about a paid upgrade, they are often available on arrival.

For example, the ic New Orleans will offer a queen courier suite for an extra $100 per night, which would have been $400 more at booking...

25. When I'm traveling alone room size is not that important but the precedence is.

man on the move. likes this.