New Qantas baggage rules: only one bag free, you pay for the rest

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by sobore, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ausbt.com.au/new-qantas-baggage-rules-only-one-bag-free-you-pay-for-the-rest

Tough new baggage restrictions come into play today for Qantas, with most passengers on domestic flights limited to one checked bag – even if they're a member of the Qantas Club or hold Qantas Frequent Flyer Silver or Gold status.

Passengers will be charged between $15 and $60 for extra bags, depending on how many bags you check and if you pay in advance online or at the airport. Qantas has also introduced an additional $20 ‘heavy charge’ for bags beyond the ticket allowance which weigh more than 23kg.
    Qantas previously permitted passengers to check any number of bags on domestic flights provided their combined weight fell under a ceiling of 23kg to 45kg (depending on your class of travel and Qantas Frequent Flyer status level).

But as of today all travellers are limited by the number of bags they can check in, in addition to a per-bag weight limit.
    Qantas' key competitor, Virgin Australia, is not imposing a limit to the number of bags passengers can travel with -- bad news for Qantas, which must have hoped Virgin would fall in line by the 1st June deadline.

2. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old news. There was bitching left right and centre on the news here, but I fail to see the problem. People should keep on top of this, and they would have been notified at time of booking, or, via email from QF or their Travel Agents.

Mountain/Molehill IMHO.

*edit*
    Here = PER (not at home)

thewinchester likes this.
  3. trooper
    Original Member

trooper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually quite an improvement for those of us who fly/have status with *A, but who live in regional Australia.

If I choose to fly on QF SYD-CBR after an overseas trip it will now cost significantly less than it did - given that I usually arrive back with 2 bags (at or <23kg). Last time I was charged $$$$ per kilo for the second bag... these new set fees are better for those in my position. YMMV of course...:)

QF won't interline outbound anyway.. so I am usually rather unlikely to fly them.... One day/one way car hire seems to be the way to go!

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see no problem with the change. If anything it will make me make smarter choices about what I take.

Personally I hate lugging heavy bags along on any trip and for the life of me I can't work out what people are taking with them when they have 2 suitcases per person for a 2 week flight.

We are at the start of a 3 month trip and each only have one suitcase weighing 20kgs and we are hoping by the end of the trip it will weigh even less.

5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I wish my home town was in a major city like Melbourne or Sydney so I could avoid these fees. Another reason to pray that DJ joins *A.