New Product: "Premier Accelerator" to roll out after March 3rd.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by VVanderlust, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was poking around the United Hub and found this:

Award Accelerator / OnePass Maximizer

You can continue to purchase bonus award miles online that are associated with your itinerary, under the name Award Accelerator. If you’re a United customer, you can take advantage of our Premier Accelerator product, which enables you to purchase Premier qualifying miles.
    Not sure what they mean by "United Customer." Be interesting to see what the pricing will be.
    Link here

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that it is a reference to the fact that sUA didn't sell PQMs previously while sCO did.

Not too surprising that they're keeping the feature. It must be a cash cow for them.

3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thinking you won't need it this year, oh Wandering One.:p

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never have. A few years ago I finished as a Silver. Such is life. I flew more and got the status back not too long into the following year. If I was just a few miles short I might consider it but even this past year I did a quick EWR-TPA-EWR run instead and spent a few hours at TPA rather than buy up to top off my 150K level.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone notice this little line in the Trip Protector section?

"What’s changing: As an additional benefit, you can buy trip insurance on award travel tickets, which is a new feature for United customers."

Perhaps I'm just skeptical but what value would someone receive from trip protection on an award ticket? Are they going to allow us to book the same itinerary for the same miles at any point in time in the future if our itinerary gets cancelled? Are they going to provide even lower levels of service to award ticket travelers so that they can charge us for "trip protection"?

Travelsavant and TAHKUCT like this.
  7. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I'm not a top-tier elite member, if something comes up at the last minute and I need to change an award trip, I might have to pay close-in booking fees, change fees, or redeposit fees. Those aren't always eligible to be fully reimbursed by UA.

Trip insurance could reimburse those fees if a covered event happens (examples of covered events: illness or jury duty; examples of non-covered events: a surprisingly large number of routine weather delays). See http://consumerist.com/2010/02/acce...comprehensive-so-enjoy-your-overnight-la.html for some discussions about the practical limits of one trip insurance policy.

Blue Skye and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used this when I was 50 miles short last year and didn't have the time for a MR. It was actually cheaper ($60) than any of my other options.

9. JetAway

JetAway Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at a couple of current itineraries on both sites, I compared the cpm for RDMs on UA's Award Accelerator and CO's RDM Maximizer and the price on the current UA site was much cheaper (1.9 cpm on UA vs. 2.3 cpm on CO). I'm sure that cheaper price on UA will be gone by tomorrow so I'm giving serious thought to buying some UA miles now. This is only for RDMs, not Elite miles.