New problem hits Qantas A380 engine

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Chimpy, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taken from The Age:
    http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/new-problem-hits-qantas-a380-engine-20110218-1az5z.html

Air-safety inspectors are investigating oil problems with an engine on a Qantas A380 superjumbo after pilots decided to reduce its thrust to idle about two hours out of London.

The pilots of the A380 noticed a gradual decrease in the amount of oil the number-four engine was using while flying over India's capital, New Delhi, on Tuesday during a service from Singapore.

The crew decided as a precaution to reduce the engine's thrust to idle about two hours' flying time away from Heathrow airport.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said an engineering inspection later found that an external oil line on the engine had not been correctly refitted after it had been removed for testing.

The Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine was one of many inspected in the weeks after a Qantas A380 suffered a midair engine explosion shortly after take-off from Singapore late last year.

Qantas said today that the latest problem "is not related in any way" to the QF32 incident on November 4, which forced the airline to ground its superjumbo fleet for weeks.

It stressed that the engine was placed on idle thrust and was not shut down at any stage during the flight.

The A380 involved in the latest incident – the third that Qantas took delivery of – remains in service.

The ATSB is continuing its investigation.

Qantas has estimated that the grounding of its A380 fleet late last year cost it $80 million. That figure does not include a $100 million repair bill for the Nancy Bird Walton, the A380 that sustained the midair engine explosion.

That superjumbo – the only one still grounded – is likely to return to the air by the end of the year.

Qantas expects that repair bill to be covered by insurance and "contractual arrangements" with Rolls-Royce.

The airline remains locked in negotiations over damages with Rolls-Royce, but has reserved the right to pursue the engine maker through the courts in Australia if talks break down.

Horse likes this.
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mr O'Sullivan should be banned from writing about aviation until he has:-
    • Discovered the difference between fuel and oil, in airline operations;
    • Worked out whether pilots would be more worried about high consumption of oil or low consumption of oil;
    • Found out what the real concern was.
    At least www.avherald.com can normally be relied on:-
    And if the crew flew on for 5 or 6 hours after the problem was first noticed, before throttling the engine back for the last bit of the flight, I wonder how this story counts as anything other than a huge yawn anyway.

willyroo likes this.
  3. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn’t realise New Delhi was 2 hours out from London :eek:

Although I realise the story made note that they noticed something then, not that they reduced engine thrust then. Though considering the distance from there to when they did reduce thrust, it couldn’t have been that severe.

I suppose the next question is, was the engine serviced in Australia? I haven’t heard anything from the unions lately… :p

Ric likes this.
  4. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, just maybe the unions are waking up to the fact that most of us can see through their paper thin veil and see the truth.

Ric likes this.
  5. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of union etc. discussions, this is significantly different from the original manufacturing defect and caused by "human factors". not manufacturing - very likely a single occurrence, and not much to worry about in any case. They weren't even flying an ETOPS (Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim) route. [​IMG]

7. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    ETOPS never applies with these aircraft unless everything is going wrong! [​IMG]

JasonH, piqaro and Globaliser like this.
  8. willyroo
    Original Member

willyroo Active Member

Status Points:
    1 of 4 engines throttled back as a precaution. Sorry what part of this is newsworthy?

JDiver, flospi and Globaliser like this.
  9. Chimpy is a 10K, remarkable !

Chimpy and Gargoyle like this.
  10. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    13,000 likes in 2 weeks… there’s some funny business going on somewhere :p

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't you mean some monkey business? [​IMG]

samh004 and Gargoyle like this.
  12. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent 17 hrs last Thursday on the "I want to be liked thread" Once the USA woke up, I went up to 4000 likes very quickly (in my 2nd day on the forum).

It's amazing what one can achieve when they dedicate their time to doing something foolish[​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  13. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I briefly considered doing so, but decided against in the end. Sorry for dragging off-topic this thread.

Chimpy likes this.
  14. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I do like the ETOPS monkier you use, do remember that it really stands for Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards. Before the larger ETOPS 180min+ certifications came out we had the tri-jets (DC-10/MD-11/L1011) and the quad-jets. The A340/380 and B747 do not operate under ETOPS rules. And like straitman said, if they did there would be larger issues going on!

15. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's why I used a "winkie" - having flown since the mid-1940s on a variety of aircraft (starting with DC-3s) and having been a pilot myself, I do know about ETOPS. :) (I've even flown on an ETOPS-rated Boeing 737-200! HNL-MDY.)

An ETOPS-rating might be for an A380 with two engines out? (;) lest someone interpret that comment seriously - the QF A380-800 is my favourite QF aircraft, bar none.) ('Way off-topic, Ken Snow, a friend of mine who passed away last year was Captain on one of the very early PA 747 "classic" flights JFK-LHR - it lost all four engines! He managed to get two turning and land at an air force base, but those engines were toast, and the pax were ingloriously bussed to what in those days was called "Thiefrow". In Hawai'i, that's what they call an "okole squeezer".)

willyroo and JasonH like this.
  16. anat0l
    Original Member

anat0l Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you say 'us', you mean this forum and some other forums. Not really the general public, and not everyone on these forums for that matter.

I wonder if the TAB has a rolling bet going to see who can wager when QF will have its first fatalities since World War II......

17. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope not. [​IMG]