"New" Preminum Business?

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by zpaul, Aug 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my last two flights SCL-EZE-SCL on the 767 in J, this is what I saw, which the FAs vehemently told me is the "new" business cabin. Please tell me it's not true!!

Attached Files:

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's what I've had on my 4 MIA-EZEs this year.

I don't care for the J lie flats on LAN.

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is true. The IFE functions a lot better. I imagine the "fit" is better on the 787s, because the 767s are too narrow for any 6-across J seating scheme. I did like a few aspects of the seat better, but didn't find it to be materially a lot better (save the IFE functionality).

4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    It surprises me because it feels older, bulkier, and less comfortable. Granted, on a two-hour flight I didn't test out the bed, but the huge, bulky center console with the fold-down tray flaps, and the speckled blue linoleum walls make for a much "older" look, IMHO.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tested the bed fully, either. I only had this cabina once (either LIM/SCL or SCL/EZE).

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 767 J seats on LA are some of my least favorite lie flats. I think they were made up of too many cushion pieces to create the bed surface so it felt very lumpy as a bed. It also had the very slight tilt to accommodate for pitch of plane. And it is pretty short if you are 6 ft. DL 1-2-1 lie flats are much much better. I might even prefer AA angle seats and certainly AA F. Just my .02.

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I typically put the frazada under me, instead of on top, and it makes for a nice mattress pad. If there are extras, I use 2. As for the tilt, you usually have to raise the center position AFTER it is in bed position for a full flat.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The oddity about this IMHO it that they're making a big deal about this and even comped Wandering Aramean to hype it, which he artfully handled. I thought these were the old ones just before the last new ones, on thew 767's that are being retired. We probably all know that LAN has the last passenger 767's that have been built so at least these are new airplanes, if obsolete. I'm sure they received superb pricing from Boeing.

I shall miss the JJ A330's as Latam gradually diminishes the product. Considering the losses they're having now, their problems in Argentina, cutting Brazil domestic by 12% or so and so on we should not expect them to try to be more competitive.

zpaul likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They are not obsolete aircraft. The avionics are likely from a different world than much earlier 767s. The only issue with them is that LAN has a 6 across J cabina, that there is almost no remaining F service to South America, and that I figure the end of TAM F is on the horizonte. TAM is bleeding, and would probably not be long for the world but for smart management from Pudahuel. LAN has been a quite profitable company for years until the absorption of TAM, which is probably more difficult than they envisioned, short term.

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The B767 is not fuel or maintenance competitive with more modern aircraft. That is why I state it is obsolete. A quick look at B787 order books shows how many of them are destined to replace B767. There is zero question that LAN received bargain pricing and terms for accepting very late production B767. Your other points are not in dispute, but Argentina is a big problem for LAN that you did not mention.

Without question TAM has been in disarray since the untimely death of the founder, Rolim Amaro, 12 years ago. TAM would have had earlier major problems had Varig not imploded. The 'custo Brasil' does not help, nor does the horrible airport infrastructure.

This thread is probably not the best place to discuss this in detail, but I'd enjoy doing so because I suspect our differing locations, travel patterns and information sources are largely complementary and not in conflict.

zpaul likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They comp'd Airchive. I just happened to be the reporter on board. Subtle difference, perhaps, but a distinction I draw very clearly.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not miss the distinction, but you were the reporter and the art was yours, regardless of the entity you were representing. BTW, if I was not clear, I was quite pleased that LATAM cared enough to comp a reporter. They are paying some attention to their image, which is a Good Thing.

zpaul and Wandering Aramean like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Under US law Airchive owns those photos. The boss is my friend and I'm sure he wouldn't care, but technically they'd be part of a "work for hire" in most cases. Yeah, I wrote the story, but it isn't truly mine.

Laws are annoying.

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my flight from MIA-SCL on the 767 last month, a fellow in the Priority lane was telling another passenger that this was the new 787 we'd be flying on. Of course it wasn't. Having flown C/J I agree this is not a very comfortable business class seat. I would not pay a premium to fly in them. Found the two side row 20 seats in economy to be just fine, in fact the best seats in the back of the bus. Row 19 on the sides does not have the same leg room, and 19 in the middle is okay but lots of traffic with people crossing aisles to use the washroom.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't agree more. I had 20A for my return flight GIG-JFK and arguably slept better on the return. :oops:

[​IMG]

That part of the report just posted today.

17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW on LAN, these seats are held for release at the airport. If you're a ONEWORLD elite you can request one at no additional cost. (Seems on TAM you purchase them and they are specifically designated as Y+, but that's not the case on LAN.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dreading 2D today, again...having just flown the AA 738 for the first time yesterday, I realize that these center consoles are kind of like those in F on the AA 738 but on steroids, and uglier.

jbcarioca likes this.