New Policy RE Award Night Extentions

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by flyingdawg, Sep 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the GP rep. I spoke to this evening, GP is putting in place a new policy for award night extensions related to the Chase cc reward nights. In my experience GP agents have been very helpful in offering 30 day extensions for unused award nights. Beginning Oct. 1st they will not be allowed to offer these extensions. Instead they will offer members 10K bonus pts. for unused award nights.

Kalboz, B1BomberVB, LIH Prem and 4 others like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd rather have the 10k points, I think. I can use those towards cash and points awards that are elite qualifying, as partial payment towards higher category awards...

Kalboz, B1BomberVB, Thomask and 5 others like this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the points might be a better deal for a lot of people if they don't have a specific redemption in mind.

4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will you have to call to get the 10K or will it automatically convert?

Kalboz, flyingdawg and Thomask like this.
  5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answer to this. I would say I think it would be best to be proactive about getting the pts.

Kalboz and B1BomberVB like this.
  6. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    A more useful change (at least for me), would to allow the cert redemption on any category and pay the difference in points if above Cat 4 (e.g. 10K points for a Cat 6 redemption). Or maybe spend $X dollars on the card get a 1 to 5 cert, spend $Y get 1 to 6 cert, etc.

7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm this is the new policy as I called today for an extension to a Chase cc award night & was offered the 10K pts.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. joeyt28

joeyt28 New Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand how these certificates expire. Practically, it seems like Hyatt lets people book a free night past the deadline, so long as that booking is made before the deadline. Isn't this pretty generous as it is?

B1BomberVB and Kalboz like this.
  9. wlopez70

wlopez70 Active Member

Status Points:
    After reading this post, I called Hyatt GP to see about getting the 10K points for my Hyatt Credit Card Anniversary Award Night before it expires this month. I spoke to two different reps, and in both instances, the reps said that the 10K points offer was not available for the credit card award night. The second rep I spoke with did offer a 30 day extension as a courtesy, and after checking my Hyatt account my award night has been extended.

B1BomberVB, traveltoomuch and Kalboz like this.
  10. stratosg

stratosg Active Member

Status Points:
    I had an Award Night Certificate which expired Oct 31st (i.e. tomorrow). The booking I would make was literally for the next day (Nov 1st). I called HGP and the first rep told me he could not extend it at all as per the new policy. Not even for one day. He made no mention of giving me points. I asked to speak to a supervisor which repeated the same policy (again, with no points offer). She finally extended my certificate to cover the specific booking I had in mind telling me that she "would probably get in trouble for this" and that if I couldn't make the booking no further extensions would be granted.
    So it seems like the policy is not uniformly understood or applied...

B1BomberVB and wlopez70 like this.
  11. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Good Morning!

We do offer 10,000 points per Award for the initial 2 Free Night Awards if the Member has met Platinum status with 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights. Please note that the Awards must still be valid to receive compensation. Once the Award has expired it is no longer eligible to receive this compensation.

We do offer 20,000 points per Award for the initial 2 Free Night Awards if the Member has met Diamond status with 25 eliglble stays or 50 eligible nights. Please note that the Awards must still be valid to receive compensation. Once the Award has expired it is no longer eligible to receive this compensation.

Anniversary Awards –Valid in Category 1-4 hotels will be allowed a one-time 30 day extension per award if the award is not yet expired. If the Anniversary Award is expired or has been previously extended, no further extensions are to be made.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks