New Policy in re:AMEX Platinum $200 airline fee reimbursements

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by LauraPDX, Mar 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got off the phone with AMEX where I changed my preferred airline (once again) in order to maximize my fee reimbursement. Until this year, all reimbursements had to be from the same airline in any given calendar year. The very nice CSR I spoke to told me that as of this year, we could COMBINE airlines to make up the $200 fee. He said that AMEX realized that as frequent fliers we utilize more than one program. Has anyone else heard this or tried it?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be QUITE a significant change, particularly for people who actually use the benefits when traveling rather than just for gift certs.

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    i just got off the phone with my centurian concierge and asked about the deal with airline reimbursements for my plat biz and asked if there was a change and can list multiple airlines and he checked and i asked him to double check and it seemed like there was no change. :( maybe my account just sucks.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    The guy I spoke to was "Eddie", and I could hear the beeping sounds of the conversation being recorded (not that I would pin them to it). Seth, do you have an "in" at AMEX to check the policy with? (or maybe we need Gary or someone with lots of card contracts to ask for us).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be paranoid, but you may want to take his name out of your post, in case he gets in trouble for this.

6. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    If he is giving mis-information, he should be advised otherwise (or are you worried he would be seriously compromised or fired?). He certainly got me excited about the options.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just scoured the AMEX website and the web for an official announcement of this change that would allow some us to finally take advantage of this benefit, but found none, including in blogs by "experts" posted just a few hours ago...

This would be a clear money-draining proposition for AMEX, so I doubt that they will make this change, but we'll know soon enough...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't be the first time someone got in trouble for letting information get out before an official release date, or for giving out false information (knowingly or unknowingly).

Agreed. It would be great if they did this, but I don't know how the finances would work. I'm generally skeptical of information from frontline CSRs. I wouldn't believe they'd actually do this until we see something official, or from one of the more knowledgeable blogs (and even in the latter case, I'd be skeptical).

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be an enlightened policy change-something Amex used to be known for...

akcae and LauraPDX like this.
  10. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't seem to find where to change the airline. I recall in the past coming across it just by stumbling around. Can anyone point me to it or should I just call CS?

Thanks!

11. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Easiest to just call

rockyrock likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that one is allowed to choose the airline to associate with the $200 fee reimbursement only once per calendar year. If you have not yet selected your airline or want to see if the choice can be changed, go to this link.

P.S. I just try to change my airline choice and got the following message:

13. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link, it was as you said though :( I'll have to call and try that way.

I have no Delta flights scheduled for the rest of the year so I may have to chance buying Delta GCs. I know some have had success in the past even though the T&C say otherwise.

Thanks again!

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I haven't asked Amex about this, but pretty clearly the reason for limiting you to one airline and not letting you change except once per year is all about breakage. It lowers Amex costs.

Letting you switch airlines, or just applying the reimbursement to all airlines, increases the likelihood that more of their customers hit the full $200.

Right now the benefit doesn't actually cost them $200 per cardmember since many many don't ever use it or fully utilize it. This change would mean many many more do = much higher costs for the benefit.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:

That makes a lot of sense and I may be part of that statistic if they don't let me switch.

I have a good feeling they will let me, I'm military deployed overseas right now since last July and haven't had a chance to use it. I have been pleasantly surprised this time around how well corporate America is accommodating our unique challenges :)

16. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your service. I am glad to hear that people, in general, are recognizing that your "unique challenges".

rockyrock and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. cybaslacka

cybaslacka Silver Member

Status Points:
    profpeabody likes this.
  18. Dariankolev

Dariankolev Member

Status Points:
    Good to know!