New, points question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by projectworkout, Aug 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know if there are any real good points credit cards to use for gift cards at a good rate. I have been using amex that gives me one point per $1 for many years & $150 annual fee. Some of the gift cards dont add up though, like 10,000 should get a $10 gift card, at least it used to but now it is more like 12500 gets $10.

I do NOT travel, I find it stressful not relaxing. So every time I try to look up a good credit card on all these sights, its always for travel. Anyone know of a good credit card that offers low points towards gift cards, or more than 1 point per $1 with low or no fees?

Newscience, satman40 and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, you old card gives you a poor value. It sounds like you should be looking for a cash-back (rebate) card. There is a number of them available paying you 2% rebates on all spending with no annual fee. Some categories of spending (like groceries or gas) pay even higher rebates. Rebates in points are primarily a marketing gimmick to benefit the travel industry. That's likely the reason why you're coming up with only travel cards, when you search for points.

Also don't forget to consider sign-up bonuses when choosing a new card -- they can be several hundred dollars depending on spending requirements.

3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi thank you used to be a great card for point.

I seem to remember getting a Canon 7D at Best Buy's for almost free, with points.

Amex is not the only game in town, easiest way is always the sign up bonuses.

projectworkout likes this.
  4. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I was thinking about the amex 6% on groceries, Id easily max out on that doing the gift card deals for gas reward so maybe thats the way to go

Counsellor likes this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint, projectworkout.

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    6% is good but it is maxed out at $6,000.00.

Citi Thank You Premier gives you 50,000 points, as a sign up, and your wife can also apply.

It helps to have more than one card, the quick points are in the sign up bonuses.

None of these air miles, or gift card rebates are any good if you do not use them, they wil expire and depreciate, and appreciate.

This is a game not an investment, I enjoy my camera, but I value giving the air miles to family far more.

My wife's sister will be arriving from China In a week First Class, something we could never justify with out the credit card game.

You do not have to travel the share the miles, or even the gift cards, it is a rewarding experience.

In life if we work and invest we will always have far more than we will ever need.

7. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    I think the ones that have big sign ups are great, as long as they have gift cards. I used my amex for $800 in home depot gift cards so that was a big help.

8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not take gift cards in lieu of cash, unless they are offered at a steep discount to their face value.
    Instead buy gift cards with credit cards, thus generating a rebate. Better yet, buy them at a discount.

9. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    Where do you get them at a discount?I know around the holidays there are discounted gift cards. Other than that, I was going to do Kroger for the gas rewards with the 6% and load them onto blue to pay mortgage. When I maxed on the 6% I was thinking about one of the office supply cards, I think at 5-6 points per $, again load to bb. Is there a better way? I have searched & searched and cant come up with anything better since I dont travel.

Counsellor, Newscience and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lowe's and Home Depot has 10% coupons use to get them at the Post office in change of address forms now get the from
    http://www.chiwahwahsavings.com/. 10 for $5.50,

Lowe's cards 5 X at OD.+10..

As a landlord, and home owner sure has saved me a ton of money over the years,

They are also sold on EBay

Newscience and projectworkout like this.
  11. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    Awesome!
    I have military 10% off in my area, so I dont need the coupon & they wont be convinced to stack

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    vickers and Newscience like this.
  12. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to add that I sold $600 worth of these on fleabay for just pennies under face value. Even at the loss of fees, it was still a heck of a lot better than the statement credit % amex offered

satman40 likes this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lowe's give 10% to the military, not everyone is or was in the military.

Most of the post on hear,,are made to help everyone, trying to gain points or miles.

Best use for miles I'd always International Fist Class Travel ,,after that the value goes down. 2500 point for a $25.00 gift card is not worth ones time.

projectworkout and Newscience like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Costco and BJs have gift cards at a discount, the size of the discount depending upon which vendor the gift card is for. And Costco has on occasion made membership available at a discount for military members.

satman40 likes this.
  15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Home Depot also provides a standard 10% discount to purchases made by military with ID.

And @satman40 has absolutely nailed it, the best use of airline miles is for long haul award travel. Everything else pretty much ensures that the airlines and banks will take advantage of you as a customer.

Another cardinal rule is also to never use your airline miles for anything besides air travel. Making a purchase with them is often a way to pay much more than the item is worth.

Counsellor and satman40 like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife's sister will be here in a few days 70,000 miles plus $80.00 First class ticket, cost

$6,690 one way...

Depart:
    4:10 p.m.
    Tue., Sep. 1, 2015

Beijing, CN (PEK - Capital)
    Arrive:
    4:15 p.m.
    Tue., Sep. 1, 2015

Chicago, IL, US (ORD - O'Hare)

Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
    Fare Class: United Global First (A)
    Meal: Dinner

Or $700.00 worth of Gift Cards...

Your Choice...

Most of my miles are given away, Home is always best..

But nothing like bringing the family home First Class..

This is a rewarding hobby,

17. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try www.cardpool.com for lots of gift cards at various discounts. And you can use your credit card to buy them, thus earning more points or miles.

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many gift cards can be purchased at a discount. I use giftcardwiki and giftcardgranny to find discounted gift cards.

satman40 likes this.
  19. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Around the holidays, our Kroger offers gift cards for restaurants that include a free gift card. For example, for $75, there will be 3 $25 gift cards and a bonus $15 gift card in the same pack. Buying at a grocery store will grant you the 6% cash back on the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred.

20. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    All great ideas! Thanks

21. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten quite a few gift cards at a discount with my various AMEX cards. A couple of recent offers were $25 statement credit when spending $50+ at Smart & Final and $30 statement credit when spending $100+ at Target or Walmart.

MX likes this.
  22. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    I have seen these offers on my amex, but I didnt think it would count if I purchased gift cards!

23. projectworkout

projectworkout Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking of joining top cash back. From what I read its a good one for buying amex gc. Unless anyone knows a better?
    Anyway I was wondering if anyone gets a bonus to refer me, if so Ill use the first to reply.

24. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Staples, Office Depot, and many Restaurants offer discounts on their card through the year.

We use these during the Christmas season, We use to buy Resturant cards,meant to gas cards, no we only hive gift cards, bought with our INK CARD 5X.

Gas cards did not give the purchaser (U.S.). much,,,,,

Restaurant cards they had to spend it there, also give the tip out of their pocket..we did get a nice kick back on the cards..

This year GC worked best for both parties.

25. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If no one has referred you, please let me know and I will.