New Platinum packet - "enhanced" :(

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Feb 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just received my skinny 2012 PM packet.

1 card
    2 large bag tags
    No small bag tags
    2 Job Well Done certs (instead of three the past years)
    4 HOOU certs (I think it was 4 in 2011, prior to that it was 6)

There is also an ad for the DL amex Plat card, stating you can earn 35k RDM's of which 10k are MQM's- 5k after the first purchase and 5k if you spend another $2000 in the first three months.
    My DL Plat Amex earns 10k MQM's for $25k spend, another 10k MQM's for the second $25k, and no limit on RDM's. I'm going to have to look into this, and see if my award levels are grandfathered in or if they'd "enhanced" that too.

jrp2, sobore, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got my Diamond package yesterday. It was skinny too. Even the JWD certs have less value than last years.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're right!
    They used to by 1500 points, now they are 500
    So instead of being able to give 3x1500=4500, I can now gift 2x500=1000 each year.
    Now that is what I call an enhancement!

ryandc99 likes this.
  4. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe C.E. Woolman's desk just wasn't sturdy enough to handle the stack of packets so they had no choice but to pare them down?:p

The Platinum ad sounds similar to the bonus when I got it last Oct (except it was 40K RDM). The 5K + 5K MQMs is just the signup bonus, mine still had the same annual 10K MQMs/$25K. I hope they haven't tinkered with anything

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. bearcat74

bearcat74 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the exact same offer I got in my Gold packet last year, which I held on to till September to apply when I knew I would need the MQM's. 25K (5K of which are MQM) on first purchase - posts within a couple of days and then 10K (5K are MQM) upon reaching the $2K spend - posted the day after I hit the 2K. In hindsight I should have applied two months earlier and probably could have met the 25K spend to get another 10K MQM in as well to rollover.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good, makes sense that it is the sign-up bonus, but they should clarify in the promo about the future bonuses; that is a large attraction to the card.

Seems like half-gassed marketing to omit a major feature.

bearcat74 likes this.
  7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't figure out why people B&M about the job well done certs. Who cares how many points they are worth??? That's for the agent(s) you are giving them to to worry about! Your job is to give them to the agents who deserve them.

If an agent is going to give you flack for giving them a 500 point JWD cert then maybe you shouldn't be giving it to them in the first place.

-RM

8. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Rob I think you are missing the point. There are a bunch of really really great Delta reps both ground and in the air. Sure we can give the Starbucks etc gift cards out of our own pocket, but this has been a kool way of rewarding them with substance as a top Medallion member. Substance that they have appreciated over the years.

I have emailed DL in the past about getting more of them and now they decide to go this way. Maybe some thought would have been good to lower the value but give us more. Nope.

9. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    No real changes from last year at all to the actual Medallion Program....

10. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    We'll have to see what benefits they surreptitiously "enhance" away mid-year.

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Medallion program is more into continuous process improvement, where Richard and Jeff add enhancements whenever needed. Like the 72 hour rule enhancement.

David

DeltaExpert and Gargoyle like this.
  12. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As part of the October 2010 DL event, some of us asked for more of these certificates. On ToBB, I offered to personally pay for additional certs. The Diamond packet contained four this year at 1000 points each. Of course, we don't know if there were any changes in how the new point structure for certificates impacted employees within the rewards program.

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I sent a TTU, got a reply that my comments are being sent up the line.

rwoman likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too offered to pay for more with miles or money. In fact, I may have been the one who first suggested that DL should be willing to sell us a reasonable number of additional ones.

rwoman and autolycus like this.