New Platinum - how to handle Suite upgrades

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Bigcountry, Sep 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bigcountry
    Original Member

Bigcountry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi - I'm a newly minted Platinum member, not quite sure how as I haven't stayed at SPG in quite a while.

In any case, due to the new status, will be staying at a SPG property in Nigeria. How do I ensure that I get a suite upgrade? Reading Lucky's blog, it seems hotels seem bent on not giving suite upgrades?

Thanks in advance

jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read the T & C on the SPG website

Be sure that your reservation/rate qualify for SPG benefits and has your SPG number attached. Ask nicely about upgrades when you check in.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like the good stuff!:) The way forward!:cool:

canucklehead likes this.
  4. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you really want to know your chances of a suite upgrade, you might like to email the hotel in advance to suss out what they will likely upgrade you to based on their assessment of the occupancy and yield. This won't increase your chances of being upgraded but might help manage your expectation of an upgrade in advance of arrival.

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is often effective to come into the hotel with an attitude, walking arrogantly past everyone else, waving your platinum card, while speaking loudly (yet not shouting) Platinum coming, Platinum coming, presenting yourself at the check-in desk, and demand an upgrade. Better yet, just ask nicely :)

viguera likes this.
  6. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Shesh I never had to do any of those things. I don't carry my card with me nor think i need to especially at the regular hotel i stay. With a 95% junior suite upgrade rate, i cannot speak highly of the upgrades. Having said that i know the upgrade experiences in Asia Pacific are great compared to what it's like inside the US.