New plAAt..is it good?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by redtailshark, Sep 2, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made PlAAt as a result of the recent challenge for 12.5k EQM in three months. Mostly intra-EU J on IB/BA. Ho hum, maybe, but I can say, this status is not *mejor en su clase!* Muauaha!

2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is better than nothing. But unfortunately that is summing up a lot of my feelings towards AA recently. To me board early and the occasional upgrade is the most important. and it is the only level to come close to getting real miles on AA domestically these days. Although I fall short of even 1 mile per 1 mile flown after the plat bonus quite often on last minute corp booked travel. So yeah, enhancement.

3. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that it is much better than Gold. You do get 1 additional RDU per dollar spent and you are ahead of Golds in the upgrade queue but you still need stickers for those upgrades. No drink coupons or free snacks like ExPlats when traveling in Y.

Have I missed anything??
    Pretty minimal IMO

Sent from my iPhone using InsideFlyer mobile app

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have I remembered wrong or doesn't Plat get
    OneWorld sapphire and lounge acess on
    international itineraries?

Counsellor likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You are correct. If traveling internationally, this is the biggest benefit of PLT, IMO.

Unfortunately, with the creation of Platinum Pro, domestic upgrades will be tougher for Plats next year.

I'm hoping they provide some path to LT Plat Pro, or else my LT PLT took a serious hit with the creation of a new elite level.

redtailshark and Counsellor like this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I use the lounge access benefit and it's useful... at least, it is when the dragons at LHR T5 Galleries actually recognize the status, which recently has been ~50% of the time. BA system problems are FLY infernal as patrons of the Dilbertian organization know. There has been no such problem at the IB lounges in MAD.

It does seem ho-hum otherwise. I suppose MCE at booking is worth something, I've used that to place Shark fam in the bulkhead row on upcomings. But really, I don't even bother worrying about UG.... however it works, stickers or 500mi tokens are accumulating slowly but I don't see good value in these unless I can actually use them on transcon J.

At least - for the moment - I hold status on all three alliances and so I no longer worry about the bag fee waiver being a competitive differentiator :)