New p.s. product confirmed: New CO BF seats

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    mht_flyer and rggale like this.
  2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any info on whether the routes will be migrated to EWR or will they remain in JFK?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    JFK was mentioned in the report so it will most certainly stay. No word yet on if it will be extended to EWR or not.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did he say that CO BF seats would be installed? IIRC, he only reference lie-flat seats, not mentioning in they were UA C or CO BF..

Renard likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And which UA flat seats do they have that are certified for installation in a 752?? ;)

bakedpatato likes this.
  7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While PS a/c were long overdue for an interior makeover and I welcome it, I just don't like the sound of it as I think even with a rumored 2 cabin configuration of B/F and coach with e+ (all as it is now or part we don't know) methinks there will be an overall reduction reduction of the total number of premium seats (i.e. PS as it is now of F+C < the new PS of B/F)

8. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Going to a 2-cabin config on PS...are we seeing the future config of UACO across the board? Sorry...had to ask. I'm tending to think that goalie is right with speculating a decrease in total premium seats. Hopefully we'll both be suprised!

9. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps not... CO's 757s with the lie-flat BF seats have four rows up front vs. UA's three rows of First on P.S. I'm going to stay optimistic for the time being. ;)

(This assumes, of course, they keep the same amount of real estate on the P.S. airplane for premium seats.)

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    hmmm, does that mean people think it will be 4 rows of BF-like seats where the 3 rows of F and the closet are presently? Current ps business gets converted to E+?

I was hoping it would be extended rows of BF seats in the current business section with some extra space recouped from the long row 9 space (guess that is wishful thinking).

11. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps a hint that CO's BF seat will survive in the rumored* conversion of UA's domestic 767-300ER 'Ghetto Birds' to two-class international standard.

(*=much more than a rumor, but not yet official...;))

12. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since SMI/J is all about synergies, if they are chucking F out of p.s. then I'm not sure why they would want to have two versions of a 752 (one with 16 C seats and the p.s. version with possibly more).

I think the "new" p.s. will end up being the standard 752 config. And the premium seating would be similar to what DL flies from JFK to SFO/LAX (16 seats in the front section).

So we'll end up with less premium seats. Certainly more than the 110 passengers that the current p.s. can carry. And more pax/bathroom ratio.

Overall, more changes "that we'll like".

13. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking it all comes down to money. If the PS service is in fact selling more premium space, to the level that the difference in the costs to maintain the fleet and separate service makes bottom-line sense, I'd expect them to use a modified version of the 757. If this service doesn't generate the level of revenue that is needed to make financial sense to have a second config, then I'd expect them to can it.

mht_flyer and adambadam like this.
  14. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what will happen to the IFL privileges and GS/Int'l F check-in

15. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess at least the JFK IFL will be history.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know that generally sounds likely but I'm still willing to bet that the BF seats head back as far as the exits over the wing and they keep a sub-fleet. There is apparently enough demand for those seats.

17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Totally agree, it's the same thing I've heard from good sources. The number I've heard is 28 seats and it will be the CO BF seat. Nothing wrong with that. Also, there will probably be regular Economy in addition to E+

18. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will be a good test for converting international UA fleet to a 2-class standard. If UACO finds success running even extended 2-class cabins, the demise of Intl F can't be far behind. This is also mirrored by the international cross-fleeting tests that are currently going on.

19. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    How do you figure? They are upgrading two crappy seats and putting in a great new product on PS, long overdue, but on international configs, most UA aircraft already has a brand spanking new product in both C and F.
    There's a market for international F, especially to Asia. I'm quite sure there will be an international F product in the new United. They will do what Lufthansa does and have some planes with F and some without for various markets. With the worlds largest wide body fleet, they can for sure do that without any problems

tjtenor4, Renard and Sean like this.
  20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even with a 2-class configuration I would not expect to see an actual decrease in the number of C seats, in fact it would be wise for UA to add a row or two more. E+ is an add-on to the basic concept which is a premium service transcon run. With JFK as one base and EWR as another (I fully expect CO's version to remain ex-EWR with a similar configuration) this fully services the premium market on both coasts. Why would UA downgrade PS by adding more E+ since it already operates enough coach inventory via LGA and EWR? JFK is not a popular airport for domestic travellers.

why fly likes this.
  21. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This pretty much echoes Jeff's comments today. To paraphrase, there are markets where F makes sense, and there are markets where a true F product does not make sense. I would not expect the CO-style fleet homogeneity at new United. Even Jeff has acknowledged this.

EWR-LAX, as a hub-hub market with substantial flow traffic at both ends, requires a high-volume product. As it stands now, CO already operates about 40% more seats EWR-LAX than UA JFK-LAX, albeit with a much higher % of premium seats. I would look to UA's current IAD-LAX schedule to see what EWR-LAX might be like in a year or so.

22. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the JFK-LAX/SFO market is somewhat saturated, and P.S. differentiates itself somewhat. It was a great concept in the beginning, and now they will update it. I don't think they should reduce the amount of premium seats, as there is certainly sufficient demand. I agree they will probably extend the premium cabin at least as far as the exit rows...

I wonder if AA will get rid of the three class configurations on the 762's as well, now that the SAG contract has been modified.

23. Axey
    Original Member

Axey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surprised the SAG contract was mentioned so late. Of course this is why they're getting rid of p.s. F. The only way this was sustainable at those fare levels was the SAG contract. No more domestic F for SAG = no more $5k RT transcons with the same sad breakfast as C.

Remember.. you're just a number.

24. Angeleno228

Angeleno228 Silver Member

Status Points:
    PS F has been good for redeeming miles, especially last minute. If they convert it to a 2 class product, say goodbye to award availability on that route :(... Much like what's happened to Delta's low level awards on that route (i.e non-existent).

25. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe the ps now are 12 F and 24 C going to 28 if that many will more then take care of those who actually pay for those seats but will leave many a person using something to Upgrade flying in the back of the bus going forward. So the Company will do better while those flying wont, yet those who do get the UP will have a better seat for sleeping and hopefully AVOD which is missing from UA

now what will they do with the space by Row 9 the exit as they cant block them and the BF setas will do just that, could be they will put BF until the 1st exit door walking towards the back and then fill up the rest of the ole C cabin with reg Y seats, which would mean much less than 28 BF seats