New P.S. Configuration Photos

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by genemk2, Jul 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't recall seeing a post about this, but I got a chance to take a ride in the new PS bird and took some photos. If you're in BF, rows 1 and 5 have larger footwells (as shown below). However, 1A and 1B, and 5A, and 5B, are pretty exposed to the galley and I got galley light during a red-eye flight. Luckily they give out eyemasks, so it wasn't an issue, but something to be aware of. 1E/F and 5E/F are better in that regard.
    IMG_1709.jpg

This is Row 1E/F:
    IMG_1712.jpg

This is Row 5A/B
    IMG_1714.jpg

Looking at 5E/F:
    IMG_1716.jpg

Looking at 5A/B:
    IMG_1718.jpg

This is the first row of Economy Plus, Row 20 - note the limited legroom, no floor storage, and limited recline.
    IMG_1720.jpg

This is Row 21. It has the most legroom of all the E/E+ seats.
    IMG_1722.jpg

This is a regular Economy Plus row:
    IMG_1726.jpg

And this is a regular Economy row:
    IMG_1724.jpg

A look at the economy cabin from the rear - AVOD throughout, and AC plugs.
    IMG_1728.jpg

This is a look from the back of the rear BF cabin (looking at Door 2):
    IMG_1730.jpg

And this is a look from the back of the front BF cabin (looking at Door 1)-- complete with model FA:
    IMG_1733.jpg

And finally a look from the front of the front BF cabin, from Door 1:
    IMG_1736.jpg

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice photos!!! Thanks for posting.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much else to add to the nice pics of the p.s., except that the power outlets are more conveniently located back, right above the left or right shoulder, depending on where one's sitting.

P.S.OUT.jpg

P.S.NEW.jpg

goalie and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great photos- thanks for sharing- looks like the new product is quite nice.

5. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks alright but a lot of small things not done that surprise me - looks like they couldn't spend a few extra bucks and replace the factory issued overhead ceiling panels with the newer scooped panels; didn't replace the overhead psu's with newer adjustable reading lights and vents. Heck Delta's nearly entire 757 fleet, including the old NWA planes, have newer amenities. If you're going to hype up such wonderful service and amenities - go the extra mile.

webdes03 likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks to me like the vents are adjustable. Not the lights, but the personal air vents definitely appear to be.

7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep the air vents on those passenger service units are fully adjustable.

8. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice pics and thanks for sharing :)

bmg42000 and TRAVELSIG like this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these just on the LAX run or has SFO got some now too? IIRC there are three operating now with another three coming on through the summer. I've both LAX and SFO flights confirmed for this fall currently booked into the front cabin F pods according to the old generic seating map.

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these just on the LAX run or has SFO got some now too? IIRC there are three operating now with another three coming on through the summer. I've both LAX and SFO flights confirmed for this fall currently booked into the front cabin F pods according to the old generic seating map.

11. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice pics. So it's basically the sCO BF seat, no? I'm not as familiar with that one as the sUA lie-flat, but if it's not exactly the same seat, it's pretty close.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooops duplicate. Didn't think my original posted from 25K feet up there.

13. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:

Yes, it's the sCO BF product. The forward cabin looks to be a replica of what sCO did with their international 752 fleet. The big change from that config to this one is the "additional" BF cabin aft of door 2L; on the international birds, that is the start of E+.

I am curious to see if these configurations find their way on to more premium-heavy international routes if they aren't occupied doing transcons. Are any of the p.s. birds certified for ETOPS?

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There were rumors at one point suggesting that such a migration might happen; LHR is a market which could likely support it. But it would mean getting the planes to EWR and that's not really happening these days.

15. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:

True. I wonder if UA would even consider running them JFK-LHR with the Newark hub just across the river.

16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Independent of ETOPS, there are a few references that come out of a Google search suggesting that UA would have to up-rate the engines and increase the certified MTOW on the p.s. 752s to make them capable of a crossing. No idea whether that is true or not.

Given their history with fleet utilization, I could certainly see this management team wanting to be able to run those birds on more complex routings than simply shuttling back-and-forth between the coasts and that would including adding J seats to certain city pairs on certain days.

But airline fleet planning is way beyond my pay grade. I just pay money to sit on airplanes.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm no expert and have only visited NYC a few dozen times, so I don't really know the geography that well and don't know the business culture of the p.s. customers at all, but would shifting p.s. to EWR versus JFK be a deal-breaker?

It's my impression that the two airports are pretty much the same distance from downtown and that neither is really an easier cab/car service ride than the other.

Is there just a cache to flying into/out of JFK versus EWR that makes it necessary to use it for p.s.?

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    More like they have to compete with DL, AA, VX and B6 on the route and those airlines all either do or soon will offer a better premium cabin than a typical domestic F on that route. In EWR there isn't the same level of competition. And there is enough paying premium business that simply walking away from the JFK-LAX/SFO markets would be a foolish business decision.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I was on UA 808 (SFO-JFK) 5/18 and it was a PS plane. Sadly I didn't clear the list so I was in the back -- same as the earlier JFK-LAX flights I had. I was in the front on the LAX return that time but it was the old plane :(

Yeah I know... first world problems. :)

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The PS front cabin customer is a senior exec Manhattanite or bi-coastal celebrity who'd never be caught on the Jersey side of the Hudson! ;) That doesn't mean UA mightn't introduce an uber-premium transcon from EWR, but remember, PS isn't UDUable, so there'd be considerable outcry from 1Ks and other elites about not being able to upgrade to the west coast.

viguera likes this.
  21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know SFO-JFK-SFO is a PS route. My question was about the current dispersion of the new interior planes being on both LAX and SFO or just LAX first, then onto SFO flights as more planes are converted.

22. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This new PS config appears to be making the SFO route from time to time.