New Orleans at Mardi Gras

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by askias, Jan 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. askias

askias Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I was looking for two seats on UA from IAD to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, dates 2/18 to 2/21. Availability going out is not a problem, but coming back on Mardi Gras has the usual crowds. What I can't figure out is that United says that there is no Star Alliance availability on 2/21, but if I go to US Air, they say I can ride on their metal for a standard award of 50k round trip.

Ideally I'd take United down and return on US Air for the standard 50k reward, all paid for with United miles. Is there any way to do this, or am I just out of luck? Thanks.

2. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Status Points:
    The best bet is to call the UA agent, if you have access to the elite desk even better. Many times I have been unable to book star alliance rewards online, but when calling in the agent is able to book it no problem...

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The double miles awards are, as a general rule, not available to partners. So US having "standard" awards doesn't mean that you can redeem them via UA or CO.

Start with co.com as it is pretty solid at showing the partner availability for US in addition to UA or CO flights.

chrislacey and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. askias

askias Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip about checking Continental. For whatever reason, they show all of the US Air availability that the United website did not. While they don't have a direct flight, I can do a first class flight through Charlotte for 25k miles. Now I just have to move some United miles back into the Continental bucket.