New ORD-HEL service, I must be living under a rock

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Lalala, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just read it in American way and it now explains all the C class avail I was seeing on what I thought was a FInnAir codeshare. Haven't priced it out, but if AA ever returns my VIPs, we're biting. I was originally planning an escape from Iceland to HEL in June and now I can torture myself for longer in Iceland. Thanks AA.

Anyone else going to HEL on this service?

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was announced last fall. Looking forward totrying it. What's fun to do in Finland in June?

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Heading to Helsinki on Friday. Wish I was going all the way on AA but connecting in LHR to AY.

Will be hard to sightsee in the winter, but I'm gonna do my best!

Travelman likes this.
  4. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fingers crossed this route proves successful. AY has great connecting options to eastern europe, russia, and east/south asia.

Travelman and gemac like this.
  5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how it goes.

Travelman and travelingmore like this.
  6. Drink $15 beers.

7. Dont't forget that Finland is EST+7, FYI!

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's gonna take more than that. [​IMG]

Travelman likes this.
  9. what's remarkable about that? :confused:

Travelman and gemac like this.
  10. Nothing. But many of our American members think Europe is EST+6. They all know The United Kingdom and The Republic of Ireland are exceptions at EST +5. Many forget that Portugal is also +5 and that Finland is the only country in Scandinavia to be +7. Just being helpful.

11. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and starting from May I'll be on this flight a couple of times a month.

Travelman likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just as an update.....

Spent the weekend here in HEL. Pretty cold but manageable. Did all my sightseeing while walking. Tons of trams and buses available but I found it better to just hoof it.

Not a ton to see, but I really enjoyed my time here. People were friendly and the town has an "old world"/Russian-ish charm to it. Only downside for me was the food, I just couldn't get into it. Plenty of alternatives to the local cuisine available though.

With regards to the AA service, the Finnair check in area of Terminal 2 is currently plastered with AA ads for the new ORD-HEL service. Looks like AA might be heavily advertising it here in Finland, where as its US advertisement of the route hasn't been as obvious.

Hoping this route works out, I'd love to return.

13. Any recommendations on places to stay? Going next weekend...

Travelman likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well I stayed at the Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka. While typically I'd be uninterested in a Best Western, this one was pretty highly rated and had a good price. It's a converted prison about a 10/15 minute walk from the major sites in Helsinki, but the tram stops directly in front of the hotel. Free breakfast in the AM was a big plus considering how expensive food can be, thought honestly it was rather bland (food up here is notoriously bland though, isn't it?). Overall, service was great and I was happy with everything and would recommend it.

That being said, two hotels I looked into but ended up NOT booking were Hotel GLO and Hotel KAMP. The Hotel KAMP struck me as very high end and the price and reviews online confirm its probably *the* nicest property in Helsinki. That being said, Hotel GLO seemed to have good reviews and from what I could see had a great location within a few blocks of quite a few sites, not to mention at the hub of a lot of dining and shopping.

nathockens and travelingmore like this.
  15. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm gonna guess this route is as much about originating HEL-USA traffic as traffic originating in the US. AY's only N. American service is to JFK, where connections are limited (AA or otherwise.) Traveling HEL to many N. American cities requires long connections in Europe, and/or 3 flights.

16. MinimumConnectingTime
    Original Member

MinimumConnectingTime Active Member

Status Points:
    Mid-summer night festival
    Midnight Sun
    Crayfish
    Midnight Golf
    Taking the ferry through the islands to Stockholm
    Watch out for the mosquitos at night

17. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    Kamp- best in town, great if money no object or OPM
    Radisson Plaza- classic, good center location
    Scandic Simonketta- modern, good location
    Hilton Strand- 10-15 minute walk from the train station, I like it for quiet and facilities

This time of year you should be able to get a room in a good hotel (but not the Kamp) for <E125.

18. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be flying hel-ord in August after spending several days in Norway and Findland combined. Imagine it will be same as any other 763 TATL on AA. The time change to the west coast is even more dramatic. But what the heck if time changes were worrisome I would only fly north and south and never pass the poles.

19. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny that one of the options you list is LEAVING Finland...Lots to do in Stockholm

gemac and Travelman like this.
  20. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were you able to get into the VIA lounge at the airport without any problem?

BTW, the hotels GLO and Kämp are essentially next door to each other. Both are within easy 3-4 block walk of the Central Station, where the Finnair bus to the airport runs from (both also very close to Stockmann Department Store, one of those great "everything for everyone" classic stores like Harrods, Galleries Lafayette and KaDeWe. .

Also, there is a website what shows the real-time position of streetcars on every route (I assume this is done with GPS units on the cars). I didn't save the link but will look for it (unless someone else has it).

Travelman likes this.
  21. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travelman likes this.
  22. Mark.Dragon
    Original Member

Mark.Dragon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can recommend the trip to Tallin very much!
    I take a two day trip from Helsinki to Tallinn with Tallink-Ferrys inclusive a night in a good Hotel for around 100,- Euro..
    You can buy the dicounted tickets at the Tallink office in HEL near the harbour - dont miss this if you have some time!

Special Tip if you have some friends in Finland:
    Dont forget to bring some cheap alcohol from one of the "duty free shops" before you enter the ferry again! You can buy some prepared trolleys with three boxes of different kinds like beer, Shots (Smirnow ice) or Cidre...
    Allways remember that alcohol is just sold in offical sholps (Alco) and the prices are very high! You will be welcome everywere if you willing to bring and spend some drinks for the evening! [​IMG]

Tallinn is a nice old city with some mediavel Flair
    Image00027.jpg

View from the baltic sea
    Image00028.jpg

One of the old houses on the marketplace

Image00024.jpg

23. MinimumConnectingTime
    Original Member

MinimumConnectingTime Active Member

Status Points:
    Don't they celebrate Midsummer's night and eat crayfish in Finland?

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For some reason when I was researching I was under the impression Hotel Kamp was further west from Hotel GLO, but I wasn't really invested to be honest. I did see the signs for Hotel GLO while wandering, never saw the Hotel Kamp site. The website made them both look nice, but I wasn't disappointed with my hotel in Katajanokka either.

By VIA do you mean the Finnair lounge at Helsinki Vantaa International Airport? If so, then yes I was able to get into both lounges. I'll be posting some pictures in a few minutes after I grab some coffee.... [​IMG]

Travelman and Wurm like this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As promised here are some photos of interest on the new HEL route. Posters in Terminal 2 check in area for the new AA HEL route:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the odd look, I took that picture using an application on my iphone.

Travelman and Lalala like this.