New Membership Rewards cards coming soon

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by LETTERBOY, Mar 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Signup bonuses aren't strong, but both cards have a role to play for frequent use. 1.5x on all charges is cool (requires 30 swipes a month on the premium card) and actually 4.5x on the first $6k of grocery store charges in a year provided you're also doing the 30 swipes a month. No minimum spend for those swipes,

3. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear, even if you don't take one of the new cards. Anyone interested in one or more of these programs (AMEX MR, AMEX SPG, Chase UR) should be pleased to see the step-up in competition.

I suppose it would be asking too much for AMEX to drop their usual 2.7% FTF...?

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Maybe it's just too early and I haven't had enough coffee yet, but can't think of any Amex cards other than Platinum that waive foreign transaction fees. That has to change.

mht_flyer and ballardFlyer like this.
  5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex Skymiles cards waive FTF as of May 1 2014.

B1BomberVB and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh yes of course. I did know that. Good point :)

ballardFlyer likes this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously considering dropping my plat or prg for one of these.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    We loaded these cards into our comparison engine earlier this morning. You can see how they stack up versus other cards on point earning based on your monthly spend habits here:

http://milecards.com/cardfinder/

Since there's no big early bonus you'll want to filter based on 'ongoing years' in the toolbar on the right to get a better comparison.

For example with $2k in monthly spend, $500 in groceries, $250 in dining, and $200 in gas the Preferred version can earn 57,600 points a year with the 30 transaction per month bonus. Well ahead of the Arrival or Venture at 48,000 points (yes, Arrival gets a rebate, but only if you redeem, so we count that in point values) and the Freedom at 48,000 points if you go through the effort to hit all the category bonuses.

Or if you just want to comp against Membership Rewards cards do that here

http://milecards.com/cardfinder/amex_membership_rewards_credit_cards/

A note: some browsers aren't handling grocery amounts above $500 a month correctly, so just input $500 or less in that field and you'll get an accurate figure until we get to the source. The 'remaining' field will handle your over-the-cap grocery spend correctly.

You guys don't need help with dollar values per point, so just pay attention to the total points earned figure, though you can edit point values if you're really OCD about it.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'll change if AmEx thinks they'll make more money without FTFs.

10. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how AMEX can figure that out. They would have to know what charges they are missing out on when a person decides to use the non-FTF card instead. They might be able to get info from SPG and Hilton for people who have the cobranded AMEX card(s) but don't use it for outside U.S. stays at Hilton or Starwood.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm seriously considering the no-fee every day card. I don't have any AMEX with MR earning mostly because I thought the fees to high. I currently use my Chase Freedom for every day spend (1.1 and 5.5 UR). So I have to see if 1.1 UR is less than or equal to some blend of 2.4 and 1.2 MR. Since I do quite of bit of grocery shopping at Costco, I don't think I'll max out the $6K for groceries. If I try it for a year, analyze my spend and see if it is worth while, then maybe I can upgrade to every day preferred and get the sign up bonus.

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume they have ways to figure out (or at least infer) stuff like this. I also assume that no card issuer would ever tell anyone on the outside how they figure this stuff out, so it's all academic.

I don't think that would work, because they'd have to know what other card the person paid with, and I can't imagine SPG and/or Hilton would give them that information (I assume that stuff is protected by privacy or data protection laws/policies). The only way they'd know someone with an SPG or Hilton AmEx wasn't using it outside of the US would be if the person had another AmEx card, that didn't charge an FTF, and was using that instead. And in that case, why should AmEx care, since that person is still using an AmEx?

13. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought something called the "Everyday" card would include multiple MRs/$1 for dining at least for the Preferred card. The Preferred card should have offered 20% extra MRs if you only get 20 to 29 purchases that billing cycle.

14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MB credit card (the one with the $95 AF) has double points for US restaurants.

15. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to give the regular Everday Card a try. I don't have MR but want to get them to transfer to Singapore Kris Flyer. I use Chase Freedom for every day spend now and if I find I can easily do 30 purchases, I'll upgrade to the preferred and get that sign up bonus. Chase Freedom would be used only for category bonuses.

17. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points: