new membership question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by katya1986, Sep 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just signed up today and I was wondering what I need to do to get my 2000 united miles and my platinum hyatt upgrade. Thanks

ACMM likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    katya1986,

Welcome to MP! If you signed up for the paid membership, then you should get a message in your inbox regarding your Milepoint Premium Membership.

Also, existing thread regarding the premium membership: LINK

:)

IDGflygirl, guberif and ACMM like this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Like others, welcome to MilePoint. There may have been some misinformation you read elsewhere but there are no United miles for signing up here on Milepoint. There are opportunities for frequent fyers interested in sharing their travel knowledge and helping build a valuable resource for all travelers to upgrade their membership to a paid status. The benefits will likely be valuable for some but not all. As noted above you may find out additional information from the link provided above.

Again welcome. Quick question: your thoughts on the possible merger of American and US Airways?

Cheers.

Gargoyle and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boy you don't start with the small stuff do you Randy? :D

I'll be the first answer to your question (on this thread at least) though... personally, I think a merger of AA and US is a good idea. Looking at the big picture, having three strong legacy carriers (UA, DL, AA), a strong LCC -- WN, and some newer LCCs that are making a big impression -- B6 and VX -- and then a few ULCCs -- Spirit, Allegiant (...and I think where F9 is going) -- is a better scenario in the long run... enough airlines to be competitive and innovate but without putting each other out of business and without having such a hard time in economic downturns. My worry about an AA/US merger is I'm not sold on Doug Parker. But compared to AA's team...

servo46250, IDGflygirl and kellio like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good for US
    Bad for AA
    And a total mess for the IT teams of all involved.

6. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ain't that the truth. Amen.

Mikus33 and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Merger / or takeover of AA by US is Not GOOD for United Mileage Plus members ! Merger will cause US air to leave the Star Aliance. US air is a good fallback when United prices are to high to the same destination. US is usually always cheaper than UA and currently MileagePlus members earn Elite Miles on all US flights. Merger will end that. Thus not good for any Mileage Plus Member or Star alliance member. Therefore I hope it does not happen!!

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) I like AA the way it is (especially swu's and movies on flights)
    2) I dislike Doug Parker
    3) too few airlines equals higher prices

9. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    But it has been going well for UA since 3/3. How do you reconcile your beliefs with those facts?

I think I threw up a in my mouth a little as I wrote that...

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP katya1986!

Since we've hijacked the thread anyways to discuss the pending AA/US merger...why not? On one hand, I think that the AA/US merger is truly a merger of equals. Oh, how our little AW has grown up. It strengthens OneWorld's positioning in the United States, as I'm assuming a new AA/US would dump *A for OneWorld (though it may not). And as macbookguy pointed out, it does leave lots of room for competition in the travel space.

That being said: whenever competition decreases, the ultimate loser is the end consumer. Prices go up, prices are easier to manipulate, and customer service is no longer a premium you're willing to pay for. I would look to WN to step up as a leader in the price game - because when they raise base, everyone else will raise base as well.

Overall: if this happens, little will change today. But there are future implications that are both good and bad. Fares will continue to rise, we'll still be sad about the size of the peanuts we receive in coach, points/miles may get you more places (or less, depending on your alliance of choice), and there may be more space to rent in the airport (great timing to start a new airline - are you listening, Skybus?). And if you're a midsize airport like my home base of CMH, it will become even more difficult to get a decent fare below $400 to anywhere.

Regardless, its going to be very entertaining watching it all play out. I'm almost rooting for a AA/BA merger over a AA/US merger...

macbookguy and Paolo Scuri like this.
  12. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Joe, buddy, you and I share a home base! Extra love for Concourse B!

I don't see CMH tickets going up that much... While WN has increased fares, the are still reasonable and I don't think an AA/US merger would change that up to $400. But $300 may be a new rate for lots of things. Part of the problem at CMH is the airport authority leadership as well.

JoeCortez likes this.
  13. Board Turn Left

Board Turn Left Active Member

Status Points:

14. Board Turn Left

Status Points:
    Katya1986,

When [if] you get an answer, please post. I also signed up for MP Premium Membership last week; received a payment receipt and a confirmation email from MilePost stating I could review / obtain membership bonuses - UA FF miles & Hyatt upgrade - at the Award Store via the links in the email. However, after numerous attemps I have not been successful in accessing the Award Store page; I continue to have a new Forums page open instead.

Any assistance current members can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    try logging in/out

16. Board Turn Left

Status Points:
    edekba,
    Thank you for the response. I have logged in/out numerous times for several days - no luck. I cannot reach the Awards Store either via the welcome email links or via top-of-the-page bar menu. Perhaps, this is a case of major 'user error'; however, I seem able to access all other pages in the site. Is it possible my membership has yet to be entered into the site? I applied / received Premium Membership and payment notification on 09/04 and received what appeared to be a system generated welcome email shortly thereafter. Regards.

17. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    It appears you have something in your browser cached. I actually just went into the "Conversation" that was sent to you and clicked on the link provided in your account and it took me directly to the Award Store from your link. Those pesky browsers. As edekba suggests, maybe logging out and then back in? We have had a few instances where members were using their spouses accounts and thus got cookied and tagged with a different account. But do log out/log back in and then click this link and it may just be the ticket for you — at least let's hope so. We also have the tech guys looking but nothing seems to be showing up in error.
    The Award Store is found here:
    https://milepoint.com/secure/award_store/

Thanks for the note and question.

IDGflygirl and Gargoyle like this.
  18. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    Much love for Concourse B, macbookguy! Good to see a fellow Columbus based traveler here! And for what its worth, Concourse B has always been my favorite - Concourse A has nothing except for the airline that shall not be named, and Concourse C only has a Starbucks. Oh, CMH - how we tolerate you.

I agree that CMH, like a LOT of things in Columbus, needs to be better managed. But because it doesn't have the word "Buckeye" in it, nobody pays attention. ;) Lets hope $300 is the new base fare - that would make travel SO much easier!

19. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the great replies! still waiting for a message or something that shows I have been upgraded to premium. Is this because I paid with paypal? Looked in my Inbox and there is no messages. Love the site, thanks for the help!

20. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response. Love the site, Thought by signing up for the premium membership you got platinum status at hyatt, 2000 united miles, gogo internet etc. ?? also interesting hearing about american and US air..thanks

21. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Still have not figured it out, I will post when I get this resolved..thanks

22. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    katya1986, now i understand your question, sorry. Yes, if you look in your InBox you'll find instructions for all partner offers with links provided and your individual unique codes for the offers. Your InBox for that message is located in the upper right corner of your Milepoint screen. Hopefully this graphic will help you locate it:
    inbox.png

We're all here to help and will get you going with the benefits of being at the Premium Membership level on Milepoint.

23. katya1986

katya1986 Active Member

Status Points:
    Aloha, thanks--got it straightened out with Mikel---they just sent me all the good benefits!!Thats a neat visual--how do you do that

IDGflygirl likes this.
  24. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dude, Randy, 137 messages! Dang!

Scottrick likes this.
  25. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised that's all it is.