New member with a few questions

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ASUndevil42, Mar 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ASUndevil42

ASUndevil42 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello all. First of all, I had no idea about an ipad mini, I actually joined to ask a few questions and to get to know some tricks from all of you Milepoint pros. Secondly, this has to be the most friendly forum I've ever seen. Lastly, I'm new to this whole mileage and points earning thing. I started looking into it last week when I got an offer from AMEX for 50K Member Rewards points for only spending $1K. I couldn't pass that up so I signed up immediately. Ever since I signed up I've been fiending over blogs and forums trying to take in every bit of information I can absorb. There is A LOT of it and my head is swimming. This stuff is kind of addicting...

Anyway, sorry to ramble on...

A couple of questions I have are:
    1) What's a good source for mileage/rewards schedules? Something simplified that I can access easily without having to delve deep into a programs website. For example, Steven Schwartz posted one for ANA in this thread that was perfectly simple. /forums/threads/how-do-i-transfer-amex-points-to-united.51760/. (it wouldn't let me post the direct link).

2) Is there a good way for managing all of these various accounts and points? I know about AwardWallet but are there any other tools you like to use (spreadsheets, etc.) for managing such things?

3) Should my wife and I each sign up for separate accounts for each of the frequent flyer programs we want to use or will one per couple be sufficient? Along that line, are points/miles typically transferable between spouses (or anyone)?

4) Can you get credit for flying on an airline for tickets in which we did not pay for? For instance, we are considering buying a Volvo and they offer two round trip tickets to Sweden to pick up your car at the factory. Would we get miles for that?

Anyway, that's all that I had at the moment but I'm sure I'll have many more. I appreciate you taking the time to answer and look forward to learning more from you all as I try to figure out how all this stuff works.

uggboy, MX and miles and smiles like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome! finally a new user that didn't just come for the iPad :)

1) Hmm not that I am aware of; for most programs finding the cost for award flights arent that difficult :-/
    2) I use Awardwallet almost exclusively to track points; (xcept for AA/UA/Southwest ... ) but i do use spreedsheets to keep track of credit card signup/min spend/when to cancel/etc
    3) ... both sign up. I dont think miles are freely transferable except BA which has something called family something. (I'm not 100% sure cuz I dont fly BA) but you would want both to sign up and earn miles. That way when you transfer points in (UR into UA for example) you wont start from 0 and at least you can use some of the miles you flown.
    4) Nope ... most require you to have a paid flight. Then again it could depends on your booking code & you don't know what class you'll get for your free tix.

3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not so sure about the Volvo question. Not sure if it is any different than your employer paying for a flight (which you'll earn miles on).

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    DEFINITELY, each of you should get one. Even having no status often gives you *something*. For example, with Delta, a companion upgrade requires your companion be a member of the Skymiles program.
    Yes, sort of. It doesn't matter who pays but the ticket must be purchased at a normal published rate. No award tickets, bucket tickets, comp tickets etc. will qualify. But if Volvo buys the tickets more or less on the open market and gives them to you then they would be eligible to accumulate points.

ASUndevil42 likes this.
  5. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:
    3) ...I dont think miles are freely transferable except BA which has something called family something. (I'm not 100% sure cuz I dont fly BA)....

As edekba noted, BA does indeed have a "Family Account" program, which allows for sharing of miles within specified parameters amongst declared family members (you can read the specifics on BA's Website, under Executive Club). That said, as you look around, you'll notice there's no shortage of well-researched positions on the values and costs of traveling on BA's Avios. So you'll probably want to consider how you'll want to use your eventual accumulations as you're deciding on how best to accumulate them.

Welcome to the adventure! :)

edekba likes this.
  6. ASUndevil42

ASUndevil42 New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think I'm gonna like it here.

7. thepointstraveler

thepointstraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    A side note on number 3, you both will still want your own account, however many hotel programs allow you to transfer points between members/spouses at the same address including Marriott, SPG, Club Carlson, and several others. Airlines aren't as friendly in this respect.

edekba likes this.