New member... love to travel!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by birvine, Feb 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. birvine

birvine Member

Status Points:
    After years of travelling - sometimes with dollars and sometimes with points - it has finally donned on my slow brain that a coordinated points earning technique or two might actually be beneficial. I have signed up for a few things to get the points started and will do the same for swmbo so we can both travel. I figure this will gain us about 100k AP miles each. And I have been reading and reading and researching... and researching some more...

This is all good so far. But now, reaching out to members to get a feel for this... traveling is not really inexpensive, so am I missing something, or are most members here fairly well-heeled, or, is there some magical points method that I am missing ( even putting through as much as possible of our business through AP visa the point count is not monumental), or do most save up their points for a trip or two per year to the next city over? In other words, unless you are spending buckets of cash, how do you amass a million points by flying around without spending fortunes on all those point gathering runs?

I am all ears...er, eyes!

Brent

satman40, gregm, ariosto and 4 others like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the MilePoint community, @birvine! :)

gregm, satman40, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  3. birvine

birvine Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Like when I was new on my cycling and beer brewing forums, there was soooo much to read to get into the groove of things. But oh, so much fun.

B

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    gregm, satman40, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer Talk University, is in Seattle April 24 for a few days, man could learn a lot, just listing, and most if the guys there are not BS, at least they are willing to spend a few buck,

Been going to them for a few years and always seem to pick up a new trick, and meet some good people..

Welcome, to a new world of travel.,enjoy the ride

uggboy, gregm, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

uggboy, gregm, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always asked myself those very same questions. I suspect its really a combination of factors like credit card bonus and spent, business travel and such.

For me, I do not see myself accumulating anywhere even near a million miles in my lifetime based on my current travel pattern (aka job) not to mention that huge credit card sign-on bonus and spent is unavailable to me too as I am in Asia.

However, being part of this community allowed me to learn things that makes my limited travel and holidays more pleasant and get those occasional upgrades. Some of my colleagues feels that it's too much of a hassle to do all this for the limited travel we get from work but I have learnt that every little thing helps. My wife certainly appreciates the Sky Priority perks with Delta Gold (Lounge access for international travel, early boarding, faster security access, preferred seats etc) and the Hilton Honors Gold status.

Being here also taught me how to get status matches on other programs and also learn what is considered acceptable behaviour and what is not in the travelling community.

So while I may not hold the secret to million miles, first class award travels etc, I hope I have however drew your attention to the other nuggets of benefits an actively involved individual can potentially benefit from being a member of this community.

WELCOME!

uggboy, curiousgeorge, gregm and 2 others like this.
  8. birvine

birvine Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for your reply. Very helpful. So, my theory was correct... unless travel is part of your work, mega flying is for those with the disposable income. My other thought to myself about mr and such... do these people see the world or the airports of of the world? My goal might be somewhat unusual... get my bicycle on the ground anywhere in the world!

B

9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have walked many streets of the world, never in it to see how many miles I can fly.

We attended many conventions, in our business, so cheaper hotels and food.

Life is an adventure, no one remembers the airport, maybe the lounge,

They make a fold up bike, and many private pilots have them.

Anyone can find an excuse, and how you think is everything.

My wife is Asian and the Million Miles passed a long time ago, we just sent her sister back to PVG FC, it can be done.

10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    welcome to MP birvine ! business travel is a small part of my work, but knowledge from MP and other travel bloggers for example on maximising points earned for hotel stays/ status matches, have created additional opportunities for my family and I to travel and stay at places in a more enjoyable fashion, and of course, see more of the places that we visit (knowing you've got a nice lounge to relax back at the hotel is great !) and see the place like a local..:p

11. volvogirl2

volvogirl2 New Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at the Hyatt in Corpus Christi, TX. I realize it's not considered absolute 'luxury' like the Four Seasons, etc., but would encourage anyone going to the area to stay there. I used points earned from the Hyatt Visa (which, I want to say, add up quickly with regular 'bonus' offers that require little effort). I had some airline credit that had was due to expire, and so decided to go to Corpus to see Bill Maher. Traveling alone with a horrible sense of direction, I rented a car and drove to the venue earlier the day of the show with the intention of avoiding any unforeseen problems driving to and from the performance that night. To my dismay I discovered there was construction taking place near the venue, etc. Taking a cab TO the show was not a concern for me, but I've experienced difficulty in similar situations getting a cab AFTER the show. After I returned from my trial run, I was casually speaking to a young woman who was working at the front desk about my dilemma, and if she had any suggestions. Now, get this --- she offered to come and pick me up! I was astounded and, thanks to her generous offer, was able to enjoy the show without the nagging fear of how I was going to get back to the hotel. Once the show was over, I called her cell phone (she was off work, by the way) and she picked me up in about 5 minutes and took me back to the hotel. She absolutely refused to be paid (although I slipped a little $$ in her console -- hope she found it!). THAT is what makes you feel like you're the only person at the hotel. The rest of the staff was also absolutely amazing.

I'm a Hyatt fan because, to me, they are luxury hotels that I can afford. In other words, I can't justify paying what the Ritz or Four Seasons usually charge, but find them to be several steps up from what I would stay in during leaner times in my life. This one in particular, however, will always be remembered with a special fondness. I kept thinking of the Maya Angelou quote, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." I felt special.

12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, you can change your life a bit with this hobby. I can certainly afford to travel, but since starting this hobby we're traveling more since its "free". I've figured out ways to get lots of miles and points by doing things I've learned about from blogs and milepoint.

For example I've earned about 490,000 American Airlines miles in about two years if you count the 75K US Air miles that will eventually convert. That's not including the wife, and just in a single airline. Now this is one I've focused on a lot. I've had 11 different credit cards in that time (Citi AA MC, Citi AA Platinum, Citi AA Exec, the old Citi AA AmEx) and I've earned AA miles through Fidelity offers, and a CitiGold banking account at one point. I also do shopping portals, take advantage of bonus offers, etc. Anyway, just an example.

Maybe all that happens is you get status at a hotel or with an airline that you otherwise wouldn't have had. Maybe a little more legroom. A slightly higher floor. Access to the lounge for free breakfast and cocktails in the evening. Free Wi-Fi that you otherwise might skip at $15/day. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in San Francisco around Christmas to see the lights, and got a nice bottle of wine, some hors d'oeuvres, a 4pm checkout, lounge and Wi-Fi access for free since I was a Hyatt Diamond due to Milepoint.

Or maybe you travel more or farther than you would have. We hit Disneyland 3-4 times a year using Southwest Points to fly as well as a companion pass so my daughter flies free. Sometimes we pay for a "disneyland" hotel. Sometimes we use points to stay for free.

We have gotten nice upgrades at hotels we've stayed at. We got an amazing outdoor deck right on Black Rock at the Sheraton Maui staying on points and got to skip past the breakfast line every day.

My parents live in Canada and are getting on in years. I like my 3-year old daughter to them as well as her cousins since we live pretty far away otherwise. So we fly back every year. This summer we're flying in first class the whole way just to keep the stress level down a bit.

I'm hoping to take my daughter to Europe in the future. Hopefully the flights will be free. Maybe we'll stay at some free hotels with points, or we'll just be able to afford to pay for the hotels because the flights were free.

Maybe we'll go to Tahiti again someday with my daughter. Maybe someplace else. We'll see.

uggboy, Kalboz, curiousgeorge and 3 others like this.
  13. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said!

uggboy, Kalboz, gconnery and 2 others like this.
  14. teejay1969

teejay1969 New Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. There's a great movie with George Clooney that gives you some insights into those who travel frequently for work (e.g., salesmen) and the life they lead, which is not all that glamorous. I travel about once a month now and am very eager to start learning and earning... rewards that is.

uggboy, gregm and Kalboz like this.
  15. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, watched Up in the Air on my recent trip to Australia! Could relate much more to his character and quotes after i got into the miles and points hobby two yrs ago..

16. byron525

byron525 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi there, i have never been in Australia, how is it? see ya

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Byron, Welcome to MP!

18. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

19. soren1

soren1 Member

Status Points:
    Wow nice. I'd love to travel too. Anyone of you been to Japan? Any tips? Thanks!

20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  21. kiki_andriyas

kiki_andriyas New Member

Status Points:
    Realy

uggboy likes this.
  22. Pablo England

Pablo England New Member

Status Points:
    Hello my name is pablo and i am also new in this forum and just like you i also love to travel.

23. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Pablo. Do you travel for work or pleasure? Or both??

24. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    So funny. My coworkers tell me that movie is about me! Some similarities, but...

uggboy, Kalboz and blackjack-21 like this.
  25. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought you said you're taller then Clooney.

gregm, uggboy and Kalboz like this.