new Marriott expiration rules

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by jackplum, Feb 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if posted

Just received this email

You're a valued member, so we want you to know about some upcoming changes to the Marriott Rewards® program.

Starting February 1, 2016, members who do not have qualifying activity in the prior 24 months will forfeit all accumulated points. If you have not engaged in qualifying activity since January 31, 2014 you have until January 31, 2016 to do so before the policy is enforced.

Some examples of qualifying activity to maintain active status in the Marriott Rewards program include:

• Make a paid (or redemption) stay at any of our 3,800+ participating hotels worldwide
    • Redeem points
    • Make a purchase using a Marriott Rewards credit card
    • Earn points with one of our program partners
    • Purchase points
    • Hold a qualifying meeting or event, including earning points through the Rewarding Events Program
    The following activities do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Marriott Rewards program:

• Gifting or transferring points
    • Receiving points as a gift or transfer
    • Earning points through social media programs, such as #MRPoints
    For full details and our updated terms, please visitMarriottRewards.com/PointsPolicy.

One additional reminder: 2015 hotel category changes have been announced. You can learn more about the changes at Program News.

Finally, our thanks for being a Marriott Rewards member. It is our privilege to serve you worldwide.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

daninstl, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.. Marriott seems to be trying to outdo Delta in making their program almost useless to who would use it less frequently.. time to get rid of my Chase card with the new cat changes
    the annual cat 5 cert was already not of much use.

daninstl, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL SkyPesos don't expire...

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though charging a cup of coffee on your Chase card even once every year and a half would keep your points from expiring.

Counsellor and daninstl like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's funny, the 2 year rule has always existed, they just haven't enforced it before. I appreciate they are telling us ahead of time of their intention to enforce it. And we are talking about TWO years -- Hilton and SPG points both expire after only one.

Counsellor and daninstl like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    But why? I have top tier in HH and SPG I only stayed at Marriotts because I might have liked a particular hotel or some other overriding convenient reason.

The use of the Chase Marriott Visa was my primary earning vehicle for me accumulating their points. The free cert is completely useless.
    Example ( of a recent trip) The Grand Flora in Rome is now up to a cat 9 (45k points per night) The property is almost as nice as SPG Westin Grand Rome which is SPG cat 6.( 20k points per night)
    btw SPGs highest award level is cat 7 at 30k points

Why in the world would I want to use the Marriott card to get awards which require the spend amount to double that in obtaining an ward at comparable properties??.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got the email, and I am mad as hell. How can they do that to one of their best customers with Gold status?!

Account Number: XXXXXXXXX
    Points Balance as of 02/25/2015: 2,3XX points
    Last Qualifying Activity: 07/09/2007

Dear HMWT,

Blah blah blah....

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that ability certainly hasn't changed and if that's how you use the card then enforcing the expiration rules won't affect to you anyhow.

Now, you can, of course, argue that SPG or Hilton has a better loyalty program, or you are more invested in SPG and HH. That's fine -- hey, whatever works for you, I say go for it. I'm just a little confused about how enforcing their expiration policy changes anything for Chase Marriott card holders.

Counsellor likes this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. So if you don't have activity in the 24-month period, they'll take your points. However, they won't close your account. So I guess if you were Lifetime Plat you'd remain Lifetime Plat. Curious.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) I did say that the Chase card was my major source of Marriott points

2) If you notice in my original post I said .." Making their program almost useless to who would use it less frequently......with the new cat changes
    the annual cat 5 cert was already not of much use.. "

3) Not to mention that Marriott instituted one rule I believe to be almost unique to loyalty programs .. ie transfers not being considered valid activity for the extension of expiration.

Add all the above up ( along with multiple other changes over the last few years) further clarification. would be redundant, no? :)

bigx0 likes this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, I have no problem if you say the Marriott Rewards program doesn't work for you. I understand and many people agree. We can argue pro and con, but for me, the expiration policy isn't a big deal. Other stuff, maybe :)

vickers and newbluesea like this.
  13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same thing with HH and SPG -- the points vanish, your account does not.

Dublin_rfk, B1BomberVB and Counsellor like this.
  14. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, in this case not.

Finally got my announcement. There's an added sentence:

B1BomberVB likes this.
  15. dmcannon99

dmcannon99 Active Member

Status Points:
    Actually, any lifetime level is currently excluded from the expiration policy, including Silver.

bigx0 and B1BomberVB like this.
  16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am puzzled as to how using my Diners Club card would qualify as a partner activity with Marriott? Do they mean if I use my card to pay for a stay.???
    That would give me a qualifying points extension transaction anyway:rolleyes:.

17. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newbluesea, I think they mean transferring DC points into your Marriott Rewards account!

18. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gee, I need a free night in August at a Marriott Cat. 6 hotel. I'm willing to transfer 44K of my Club Carlson points into your CC account in return.
    If you book it out of your account, that will extend the life of the rest of your points for 2 years from now (July/Aug. 2017!)

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  19. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I just discovered on my SPG account. After several e-mails and a promise to stay soon, I did recover the lost points. But only for the additional transfer with the merger.

newbluesea likes this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will have to give kudos to Hyatt of all the hotel chains they seem to the best in informing you about expirations. Havent earned any Hyatt points in a while but they gave me a 6 month notice
    and then a two month notice to jog my memory.

Will just purchase the minimum points to keep the account active.