New LAX Flagship Check-in

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JonNYC, Oct 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Opening Monday, LAX opens "Flagship Check-in"
    located in the far east lobby of T4 with curbside access only, open 4 a.m. - 1 a.m.

LAX Flagship check-in Available to:

• F pax on 3-class transcon
    • F pax on international fights (let's just assume that means "real" international)
    • ConciergeKey
    • FiveStar Service customers

Flagship Check-in will soon be opening in other key AA airports in 2012.thread on TB: http://www.travelingbetter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5126

2. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice. Should be exciting for the new club..... Atleast i can use it for my transcons.... Not many international destinations from lax but still excited for new club

zpaul likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think you've confused the new Flagship check in for a new Flagship lounge. ;)

zpaul likes this.
  4. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note no ExecPlat/ Emerald access??
    Shouldn't they get same access as First pax

(similar comments on the link provided)

NYBanker likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they will still have access to the F check-in that's not in the FL area. Domestic F still has an area, no?

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed a good point. BA, cx and qf provide for emerald access to f check in areas...including the little private room in MEL. Hard to imagine AA holding back...

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It actually reminds me of the BA F lounge issue. EXP/EMDs get access, but BA has a separate Concorde room to create something "special" for their premium passengers.

NYBanker likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sq has a similar thing with TPR. The only pax in the First Class lounge are those not in sq long haul f. Same with the ba f lounges in JFK and lhr.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps because LHR is a limited station for AA with only international departures, the Flagship check-in is the only option for providing that benefit? I've always used it, so I'm not sure if there is actually a F class check-in within the main T3 AA section?

The LAX exclusion could be because as a domestic station, AA still provides F class check in for EXP/EMD?

Edited to Add: While some might find it exclusionary and outside the "spirit" of AA's elite status model, with all the calls for AA to work on providing a true premium class experience, I can't help but think this is a small step in the right direction perhaps.

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you read the link regarding the UK offering, they make mention to AA Platinum members should use the First Class check-in in Area B (which is separate from the Flagship area).

Watch, they'll allow ow emeralds to use it but not AA exps....similar to the FLs. I am an American but had a BA gold (ow e) card for some time. The FL dragons were always a bit confused when I got access on non-transcon domestic travel.

We'll see...

12. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:

but there they specifically allow:
    here, they don't:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/flagshipcheckin.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=flagshipcheckin

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    This quote is from the Executive Platinum member guide:
    "Your AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status (oneworld EmeraldSM) helps you bypass lines at the
    airport since you may check in at any First Class check-in position, regardless of the class
    of service in which you are traveling on American Airlines or any oneworld® member airline."

The new program seems to be in contradiction to the "any First Class check-in" language in the guide.

I am also troubled by the fact that AA seems to value Concierge Key members more than Executive Platinums at least with respect to this new program.

15. LAX used to have a dedicated EXP check-in line, however, I have not seen this open in years.

16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps AA might just happen to know how many " I reached EXP spending a whopping $3000" Executive Plats they have as opposed the spend and potential spend of their Concierge Key members.:)

17. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then there are those who actually spend the money to make it.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Same could be said for CK members, and that spending surely trumps any EXP. Otherwise, they'd be CK. :)

With AA's money issues I don't have a problem with them treating those who give them huge $$$ well. My EXP status will mean nothing if they go under. I can still use the F check in, just not the one in the Flagship area. I'm okay with that.

newbluesea likes this.
  19. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why AA uses an internal 5-Eagle rating system to distinguish customers based on (among other criteria) annual spending. A five Eagle rating and you are invited to join CK. With the spending you described above, I would think your have a two Eagle rating. :(

20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree ... though my example above was only paraphrasing some of the postings by often by self styled "AA's most vaulable customers"
    My Eagle rating is probably about 2 1/4 anyways.:D

21. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was there as recently as LAST NIGHT, Sunday evening, returning from L.A. to London. No signs of construction or anything that's about to be built or massively changed there. [For those who haven't used LAX in a while, what's there now might SEEM like this change being referred to. there's a sectioned-off premium checkin area for First AND Business class passengers, at the far end of the ticket counters (as you're outside facing the terminal, it's the far left end, whereas the First & Bus. checkin counters used to be at the far right end). And yes, at the left end of that is the escalator up to the dedicated premium checkin security lines. But this has been in place for a bit. Nothing "new" per se."]
    I used it last night, as well as a week ago, (also going LAX to LHR), and both times, the security lines (all two of them) were no faster than when the first/biz/priority-access security lines were in the "middle" of the building. It just "feels" a bit more exclusive, as once you're upstairs, there's not all the other pax there, but that's about it.
    In fact, if you already have your boarding pass and aren't checking bags, it's a bit more walking to go down to this one end of the building to go thru security at that end of the building and then back to the middle of the building to head down the concourse.
    Nice to see AA make the effort at this, for sure, and perhaps there's more tweaks on the way with Monday's "opening".

22. ExpatExp

ExpatExp Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an EXP who rarely travels on AA in three-class F, I won't be able to use the LAX Flagship Check-in very often. I'm quite happy with that. AA has been so far behind the ball with its premium products for so long that it's great to see some improvements. Normal F check-in is good enough for me (though I miss the EXP-only line at LAX).

That aside, I'll have a chance to use the new area next month, as I'm traveling with the family and have booked Five Star Service for a departure out of LAX. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to Flagship Check-in here in London, which I use more frequently.

23. redesdale

redesdale New Member

Status Points:
    note: access is limited by AA to pax traveling fc on 3 class flights originating at lax. connecting to a 3class fc intl flight @ dfw, ord, mia, sfo? you're de-flagshipped and sent to the regular fc check in. you can count on one hand AA's nonstop intl flights from lax.. it's $7400 fc 757>777 lax-dfw-gru is somehow less 'flagship' than it's $3100 767 fc lax-jfk. seems like a great way to antagonize long haul customers.

24. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an observation, the official site says:

Who Can Benefit

American's exclusive Flagship Check-in service is available to:
    • First Class customers traveling on American onboard a three-class transcontinental or three-class international aircraft
    • ConciergeKeySM members
    • Five Star ServiceSM customers

*It doesn't say you should be booked on F or have a full fare First Class Ticket, I looked it all and could not find any reference to it, so it's my understanding that they must allow First Class Passengers travelling on A,Z or P, since meet the requirements above.

25. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the elevator on Tues. The person letting people through just asked if I was in first. I was not, as it was a short hop to FAT but told her I was EXP, (just coming from LHR in J) she said go right thru. I wanted to reprint my boarding pass w the agent, (wanted to see if LLL would pop up upstairs) even the lady at the desk said use elevator when I asked which was I should go.