New Law in NC Bans Scientific Predictions

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MX, Aug 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the penalty for making predictions? ;)

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    All expenses paid exile to the West Coast for a day. You will be forced to make at least 4 connections each way. ;)

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    None for me, as I have already been incarcerated at the NC Prison for the Criminally Insane for decades. I've ben incarcerated there so long they give me occasional field trips like my current one to Pacific Ocean where I get to hobnob with west coast crazies. ;)

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We really need to protect our CA borders better to keep these folks out... :D

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry, I'm in Oregon and headed north tomorrow. Of course, I have been invited to the Kiva DO next year to give a special presentation to all the lending addicts and Kiva crazies. :p

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll be sure to alert the California National Guard.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally, Someone who can actually make the Arizona Government look moderately sane.

Owning a map store, I usually get about one customer per year that is looking for land that will be above the high water mark when the Ice Caps Melt. And there is even a company in Eastern Arizona that produces and sells a map showing the shoreline after the Ice Caps Melt. (It is also located in an Area of Arizona that is high enough to survive, but the people already there are the types that poo-poo Global Warming)

jbcarioca, MX, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you basing that on science and math? Are you some kind of scientician? ;)

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    He's basing that on living in Asheville, where is soon-to-be-beachfront property will soon be worth millions more than it is now!:eek:

LETTERBOY, kwai and miles and smiles like this.
  12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll have you know that I have spent a lot of time at the Carolina seashore.

Furthermore, during my years at the beach I have closely observed::
    the tides
    the shifting sands
    the comings and goings of the humans, the fiddler crabs, the sand castles, the dunes, the babes in the bikinis, the loggerhead turtles, and the real estate values;
    before coming to my well thought out, highly reasoned, virtually inescapable conclusions which I have recently published in an esteemed scientific publication.

kwai and jbcarioca like this.
  13. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    My computer models say that this law will be overturned on free speech grounds by a SCOTUS decision of 6-3.

14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That seems odd. I'd have though it would have been confirmed 5-4:confused:

miles and smiles likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you been doing all that for so many years in preparation for your new Asheville oceanfront hotel/condominium development plans, or are there other reasons? Kiva borrowers should benefit greatly from your increasing largesse, although it is possible you'll be older than George Burns before that all happens.:rolleyes:

MX and miles and smiles like this.
  16. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bah, who needs science! :p

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  17. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah ha, see, my models take into account the new "Chief Justice Edwards bows to political pressure" variable that previous models were missing. ;)

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rats!:oops: How devastating to my historically accurate prognostications. Mine are were formerly based on the high confidence that Chief Justice Roberts could withstand the pressure from godless heathen communist scientists and stick to the facts as they've been so well established in the year 1546 AD. I am revising my model accordingly right now. I will not dogmatically hold an opinion that has been so clearly disproven by the facts at hand. Thank you for your clear elucidation of reality.

19. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not Texas schools unfortunately.

To my mind that's the real problem, because science has allowed itself to be politicized there are large swaths of the population that are overly skeptical of science. Of course, science ITSELF could do with a tad more skepticism in my mind.

Take CO2 for example. In all of the computer models for Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) the formulas were written to assume that CO2 DROVE temps higher. We now have some evidence (again, based on models) that CO2 actuall LAGGED temp increases. (http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-lags-temperature.htm)

The thing is, this didn't cause the AGW crowd to change their hypothesis (which should have been done under the scientific method) it caused them to issue angry press releases saying that this doesn't change anything. Given these attitudes it's a miracle ANYONE believes climate scientists any longer.

The biggest problem, in my book, is a lack of good data for historical temperatures, and problems with current temperature readings, especially in Urban heat sink areas. Plus, the level of CO2 being dumped into the atmosphere has decreased back to 2005 levels since the onset of the recession, but temperature patterns are basically unchanged.

This leads me to believe that "climate change" is more of a natural phenomenon than something that's man-made.

Based on that I think we need to start worrying about how we're going to DEAL with it rather than how to stop it, becaue I don't think we can do the latter.

kyunbit, 8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For the past ten years I have co-owned a Carolina beach condo with my brother who has subjected me to endless predictions that our condo will soon be oceanfront. (Currently it is a third floor condo in a building that is located two blocks from the ocean). My counter to his predictions has been to amass a vast compendium of scientific observations, which have, in turn, led to my prediction, noted above, that the tides will continue to come in and go out. Given that our family is known for its vast real estate empire, there are entire publications based on our prognostications. If I were to give any more details, I might accidentally cause another real estate crash. So, I must by necessity, remain a bit vague.

8MiHi, Sedosi and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all understand your delicate situation, exacerbated by your proprietary knowledge and vast store of precise (accurate too:rolleyes:) tidal data. We are indeed privileged taht you have shared with us your insight regarding the "old in and out", given it's formal confirmation IIRC, when you conducted profound studies at the Bay of Fundy. Might you share with us also the vertical extent of the future tidal movements along the NC shore? That may be the very scientific proof needed by these worthy NC legislators that there is no change forthcoming at all, apart from the odd hurricane, perhaps.

kyunbit, Sedosi and miles and smiles like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But do elaborate, if you can, on those beach babes that were apparently part of your long term studies.

My own long-term studies on this left coast have shown a strong correlation between skimpiness of beach/swim wear and increases in atmospheric temperature. I wonder if that is merely a regional phenomenon.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh, you do? To get a salary?

24. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you have to ask, then................. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bah, who needs a salary! :eek: :p