New Laptop - worth it to wait for Ivy Bridge...?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so Im going to ask those that have already been babysitting me on this laptop thing for a little more patience... :oops: :rolleyes:

Here is my latest round of dumb questions where I need the resident tech gurus to help me with the usual great advice and info. that you all so generously share. Ive been reading that the new upcoming series of Intel CPUs, the Ivy Bridge, will bring a rather moderate jump in raw power and speed (less than 10%), but will have a very relevant power savings vs. the current generation Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Since Im looking to buy a somewhat higher-endish laptop, and want to hold it for at least 4 years, Im thinking that the power savings component of these new chips is probably worth the wait..... or...?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would guess that with your frequent USA trips, the power saving would be huge. It's better to not count on an airplane seat having functioning power IME. Even if it looks like it will, aircraft changes and equipment that requires repairs make it better to assume that there will be no power. On long flights, this can be a serious negative surprise. It's also best not to count on being able to access power in a crowded lounge.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    And this is now... month 9?

Just wondering, what type of power saving are you looking for? An hour? Three hours? What are you comparing against?It's always good to say that you have more efficient CPU, but did you actually consider real life implications of that? CPU is just a part of laptop's overall power consumption, a decreasing one at that. I don't think you'll gain anything meaningful. Replacing your power supply with an external battery for charging will be a better idea.

What I see is that you have no actual metric with hard numbers by which to compare, so you will forever be waiting for that next thing. State your goals and you might just find out that you won't have to wait for anything at all.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Gaucho like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its more like month 15 or so..... :oops:

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is really a concern, I'd just get a laptop with a changeable battery and buy a second battery. I just got the Thinkpad X220 for my wife and the battery is fairly small. It's not a requirement for her to be able to work through a 12 hr flight, so I won't buy a second battery, but it certainly would be the route I'd go.

As for Ivy Bridge being better than Sandy Bridge... sure... and I heard that Magic Bridge (coming in 2015) is even better. Okay, I made that up. But the CPU/chipset is just one of many factors that impacts performance and battery life. I am sure when Ivy Bridge comes out, there will be laptops will worse battery life than what you can buy today. I personally buy a laptop when the one I currently have doesn't work for me anymore. I don't worry too much about what could come six months later.

As for the goal of a laptop lasting for four years... really depends on what you want to do with it, but I think if you're buying a reasonably high-end model from a reputable manufacturer, that most likely wouldn't be a problem. For many people today the speed of the network connection is more critical than the CPU performance as so much happens "in the cloud" or on the web (as we said until recently).

Gaucho, TAHKUCT and FlyingBear like this.
  6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Looks like there is some good COMPUTER advice being offered. More is better if anyone has some COMPUTER advice. Thank you.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me.....

8. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'll be good to buy it when you need it. By waiting for something, you're just depriving yourself of all those opportunities you'll have to use it. (Plus the fact that top-end technology tends to have a huge markup when it's just released.) If you're looking for something with much better battery life, you'll do better waiting for the release of (an already announced) Ultrabook than waiting for Ivy Bridge.

I've been using the same Core 2 Duo MacBook for close to four years now and it's still handling all my day-to-day tasks just fine.

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am quite happy with my Sandy Bridge XPS 14Z, good price, and bought it from a store that removes all the bloatware installed by default. It performs well, and can easily do a transcon, even while connected to wifi.

Gaucho and FlyingBear like this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    bump..... looking for updated info. looks like Im gonna get a Lenovo W520..... :cool:

11. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen anything new about the Ivy Bridge CPUs coming any sooner so I don't think anything has changed. Of course there is the speculation that Apple has already secured some of the Ivy Bridge CPUs and that is what is contributing to the delay. There's really no way to tell.

When it comes to Lenovo vs. MBA, I say go with what you need or wait for what you want. In the end, you'll have no regrets about your purchase.

12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks..... Ive settled on a config I can live with and will pull the trigger.... the Lenovo sales chat folks are willing to throw in an additional 12% discount and a free backpack... so I will get me a new laptop !!!

:cool:

kenbo and rwoman like this.