New Kiosks coming soon

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EWR764, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw one of these at EWR last night. A few are installed at EWR and apparently rolling out systemwide. Not sure where else they are installed yet, I hadn't flown since 10/22.

Some highlights:

- Larger, brighter, higher resolution display
    - Faster processor
    - New passport scanner, PMUA style, no more swiping
    - Headphone jack for listening to "Rhapsody in Blue" on repeat (just kidding)

I didn't catch whether the machines spit out card stock or thermal paper. I suspect thermal, but I don't know for sure, being my usual oblivious self, I used an old machine adjacent to the shiny new one.

(Apologies for the orientation of the image, it is "right side up" on my computer but rotates when I upload to MP. It's blurry anyway, I'm sure you all get the point.)

Also, tangentially related, I heard that the company has been sending PMCO agents throughout the UA system to train staff on SHARES in preparation for the "technological merger". Just what we need... :eek:

Attached Files:

mht_flyer, cordray2643 and Scottrick like this.
  2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen these in at least one place. I thought it was just an airport owned one. I think it was in the new SMF terminal, but I could be wrong.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't care as long as it works. I am tired of mysterious "errors" that require me to check-in with an agent to get my boarding pass. They don't seem to do anything except give me a seat on a plane that I already reserved months ago. I thought computers were supposed to be good at stuff like that. :rolleyes:

JLSocks, HeathrowGuy and cordray2643 like this.
  4. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to be all about the kiosk and not wanting to see an agent, but now I am the opposite. The great agents at the 1K desk in ORD are just as fast at getting me my boarding pass as me using the kiosk (I never seem to press the screen right and end up getting frustrated). So I vote for paying the great agents a bonus over getting new kiosks!

HeathrowGuy and Scottrick like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. As long as an agent is there it's much easier. The two biggest issues I face are (1) waiting for an agent to come up from the GM area because the elite desk is empty and (2) being harassed by the line police because no one believes that a baby-faced 27-year-old is a 1K.

chrislacey, JLSocks, rggale and 2 others like this.
  6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Believe me, airlines in general will sometimes struggle seeing anybody under the age of 30 as an elite. I encountered it quite a bit when I started traveling and was only 23 and standing in the elite lines. Fortunately my home airport at the time knew me and so had no issues, it was just all the various destinations.

chrislacey and Scottrick like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy it while you can ;)

Ygor, mht_flyer, AZjohn and 3 others like this.
  8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope the passport scanner works. The "old" ones have NEVER worked for me.

_kurt likes this.
  9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I stopped having success with PMUA scanners about 2 years ago. Also hate that I have to take my passport out of its RF protective case

cordray2643 likes this.
  10. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To follow up, the kiosks are the new NCR TouchPort 70 model. There is a brief video on the linked page with some of the peripherals available. To my knowledge, UA has only selected the passport reader/barcode scanner, though PIN pad and baggage tag printer are available. What's most interesting about this system is that it allows dual-sided thermal printing (thus answering my question from the original post) so additional material such as coupons, disclosures or 'dynamic' advertisements may be printed on the back of BPs and receipts - another revenue opportunity.

http://www.ncr.com/products-and-services/self-service/travel/ncr-touchport-70

I do not think these new units are compatible with the PMUA kiosk design with the slick metal facades, so over time I imagine these will disappear in favor of the more modular PMCO counter motif.

chrislacey likes this.
  11. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do y'all still get paper boarding passes anyway? :confused: No paper pass = no kiosk or agent to deal with.

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Passengers with mobile boarding passes always seem to slow down the TSA ID checker. Plus no batteries, hung Smartphone software, connectivity gaps...

13. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be me!!

Seriously though, in the earlier days mobile BPs were a bit of a PITA, but things have improved lately, at least with UA. Mobile UA/CO app lets you store BP on the phone, so no connectivity needed to display it - it used to a major headache with the emailed BPs - and the scanners seem to work better to the point where it takes about the same time for the TSA officer to check a paper BP as it does for the scanner to display BP information.

14. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have agree with the above. The only time there was a glitch was when I accidentally chose the 2nd leg’s boarding pass to come up instead of the 1st leg’s during last Monday’s MR trans-con at JFK. Realized what happened after leaving the line and all was good with the right BP.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did that once with paper BPs. Quite embarrassing... they called 1Ks and GSes... I was the only one who started moving and #fail... I stepped aside to let others proceed and find the correct BP in my bag.

16. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen these at CLE before

17. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Re: TSA checking mobile BP's. Every single airport I'm at (esp. SEA) there is only one barcode scanner for mobile BP's for an entire checkpoint. And it's never in the line I try to use a mobile boarding pass at so I just stopped using them. Most of the TSA agents are clueless where the thing is at and some of them try to turn me around to get a paper BP...which I refuse to do unless they legitimately can't find the scanner.

-RM

18. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a few major problems with the mobile boarding passes:
    1) Flight was not credited, they couldn't find my record, I had nothing to send to MP. Miles=Poof.
    2) Flight was delayed by 3 hours, and by the time we boarded, the pass was not available in the app any longer (I'm not sure how long they stick around). I needed to go to an agent and have her print one.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Workaround for that: when checking in, first print it to a pdf file, then have an electronic BP issued. That way you can always later print the pdf. <rant>Not that a BP is any evidence whatsoever that you actually were on the flight</rant>

Yikes, not good. I'd report that to United.

20. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    You guys need to go use Delta's pathetic excuse of a check-in kiosk!!! Wanna change seats??? It takes 20 seconds if not longer for the display to load. Got 2 flights??? Takes twice as long to get seats.

Delta's machines are so pathetic that they realized they were taking up so much memory and functionality by having the widget fly across the screen at different angles between tasks.

Having used plenty of UA and CO kiosks since changing my flying from DL, they're much faster and user friendly than the former world's largest airline...

21. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta Air Lines is the Wing of Satan.

Ygor likes this.
  22. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had similar problems as described below:

I've had numerous times where the barcode scanner wasn't working, or wasn't plugged in, or was only in one line that was nowhere near the line I was in, so I had to trudge back out of line and get a paper BP anyway, so for now, I just continue to get paper BP's.