New In-Flight Video

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Apr 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    On United's Facebook and Twitter accounts, they are posting the new in-flight video.

Yes, Jeff Smisek is in there, just the first few seconds (warning for the rabid Smisek haters). However, that's not the point.

I'm not sure I understand the point of the video. That they have foreign-language speaking CSRs? That they're better than others? That they fly to more European destinations than 20 years ago?

No snark intended here whatsoever. I just think United misses opportunities to better market itself.

genemk2 likes this.
  2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are folks who have — wrongly, I think — parodied the United PR efforts of the last 12 months as "Rah rah! 787! Route network! 787! Route network! (RAR SHARES)."

This safety video does not totally give evidence against the hypothesis that this is the UA PR strategy.

3. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kinda goes with:

and:

The notion of globalization/route network is clearly one of their themes.

genemk2 likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is a difference between PR and marketing strategies.

I am one of those who thought that the 787 marketing strategy was questionable in the first place. It wasn't something that's touchy-feely for everyone. In fact, it's such a small percentage of people who will (eventually) get to fly on the 787.

Now, compare that to something like "Fly The Friendly Skies." That's something that encompasses everyone on every flight. I'm not saying they should revert back to that statement, as it's just an example.

Just my two cents.

5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a step back and see the forest for the tree.

It was about investment in the fleet and positioning United for the next 20 years. For those folks sitting on a ratty 744 or a delayed sUA 752 it was a reminder that "yeah, half our fleet is showing their age. We know it. We're working on it. We're buying the latest and greatest."

It dovetailed nicely with the sCO youngest fleet message, which was a nice competitive differentiator.

6. boat9781

boat9781 Active Member

Status Points:
    I think these videos are a great. I find most passengers tune in as well.

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    And something AA has started stating in their videos (youngest and most modern fleet):

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I see and agree with your point. It's how to address it is where we disagree.

Last year, there was the video that discussed updating and refurbishing of those aircraft. I think that did a pretty good job of addressing dilapidated seating and equipment.

9. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Fly the Friendly Skies" only works if the product is indeed "friendly". If it turns out to be something less agreeable, then the slogan becomes at best a parody and at worst an insult.

I am afraid that in the end, UA's pre-merger slogan was more a parody than a promise. :oops:

10. warreng24

warreng24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So based on this video, (99% focus on Europe and specifically calling out India) it sounds like UA doesn't give a crap about the Asian flights/destinations. Sad.

11. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't confuse marketing with operational or business planning.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When McDonald's markets a new menu item, are they saying they don't give a crap about the Big Mac?

13. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything involving less CEO and more frontline employees is a plus in my book. I like the video and in general feel that they have improved dramatically since the early days of the merger--they still need to be very carefully not to come off as patting themselves on the back (See the IAH Terminal B video and the UA higher up bragging how wonderful their investment is in the airport facilities.... state the facts and forget the commentary).