New, improved Aeroplan site

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Aug 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found the first fail with the new, improved, Aeroplan site. To log in takes an extra click, as you now have to click the login button so a window pops up to enter your credentials. Then click the login button on that window.

Unfortunately, when I tap on the window on my tablet to pop up the keyboard, the login window disappears. :confused:

Workaround: tap on the login button without putting in credentials, and be taken to a screen saying you did something wrong and offering a normal login process. So, two extra clicks.

milchap, MX, Newscience and 1 other person like this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    (set $grumpy="on")

Went there just now.

Okay, I'll grant you that the Aeroplan site's now a bit different, and to my eyes it looks a little more dumbed-down and facebookish. However, I note that they have buried the 'request credit for flights' tool a bit more deeply below the folds, and now they are fessing-up that 14 days (for flights) or 2 months (for other point awards) is their standard beyond which we ought to feel free to claim for credit.

My expectations of Aeroplan (ahem, 'Toasterplan') are neither increased nor diminished by these largely-cosmetic changes.

(set $grumpy="off")

Thanks to YULtide for bravely going there and reporting back to us all!

milchap, YULtide and MX like this.
  3. superangrypenguin

superangrypenguin Silver Member

Status Points:
    The same site where I STILL cannot login using my AP #. I have to login using my Google credentials.

For crying out loud :rolleyes:

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps Penguins aren't on the approved service-bird list for Aeroplan redemptions?

Seriously, though -- half the time I can log in just fine with the AE number. Half the time the site bounces me.

What's the codebase up to now? A million-plus lines of PL-1? Or APL?

YULtide and superangrypenguin like this.
  5. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    LOLOL. Guess Penguins cant really fly then, despite what CIBC says :D

6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading the fine print on the CIBC ads, I'd have to agree with you.

You want to be the designated support-Penguin for my flights, eh? You can help me proofread my maps.

YULtide likes this.
  7. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    For sure! Freaking Delta allows pigs as an emotional support animal. PIGS! #unreal.

Penguins onboard would make everyone's inflight experience better, and it'd be a pretty cool IFE too. Best sources of happiness per square inch onboard the aircraft!

(other than for the poor soul who has to clean up after it)

#flyingpenguins :D

8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    PL-1? APL? Love it! (And yes, I do know what those are.)

FWIW I once maintained a legacy system written entirely in 360/370 Assembler.

mevlannen and superangrypenguin like this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have mentioned this before, but I still write my own on-site code (when our IT guys are off recovering from Mountain Dew overdoses, or all-night gaming marathons) in FORTRAN and APL. I adore APL as a delightful tool.

Lest I be banished by the mods for taking a thread too far from its calibrated purpose, the celebrated non-useability of the AE website would make some sense in terms of game theory: there is some small benefit in having the end-users think that redemptions are possible and perhaps downright easy ("Ralph from Saguenay just got seven tickets to Aklavik!"), but just like any insurance company, they surely must regard any successful redemption as a loss to be controlled.

So, they'd have every incentive to erect buggy, crashy, kludgy code.

[ding! ding! ding! ERROR 16023 FATAL at paragraph 0002 RUN-ON SENTENCE BUFFER OVERFLOW]

YULtide likes this.
  10. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming this isn't new. But I just realized that adding capitals to your password on the AP site does nothing. I can login with the same password even if I forget to capitalize some of the letters lol.

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  11. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never ever have trouble signing in to AE or using its functionality. I am no techie either

12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mtlfire:

I like your post. Thank you muchly for the warning.

I don't lke the implied malfunctionality of the AE log-in system. Makes me wonder exactly how user-'safe' that system really is.

(grandmotherly sigh....)

superangrypenguin and YULtide like this.
  13. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    just so people know, your AP passwords are stored in plain text so please make sure your pw used there aren't used elsewhere!

londoncalling and mtlfire like this.
  14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thing they added that extra pin for calling in as added security. :confused: In the meantime, the web site must capitalise all entries before comparing them. Not allowing upper and lower case drops the number of available passwords by quite a bit.

I stumbled on it accidentally one day when I forgot to use uppercase on a new keyboard, hit enter, was expecting to be denied and it let me in anyways. Tried it both ways, both passwords work.

Even worse if its stored in plain text as SAP says.

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  15. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    In some ways AE lives in a black hole with their disregard for having a really up to date web site. Hopefully this is now changing.

mevlannen likes this.
  16. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, you are probably going to all call this old lady a hopeless Neanderthal, but I really **miss** the very straightforward website styles of 20-odd years ago. When all would-be designers had was text and static images, there was a certain incentive to just get to the point.

If it weren't for ad-blockers, etc., I would have given up on the Web some time ago.

Okay, gong to go crawl back into my cozy cave lined with bookshelves, now.

Best,

/Elane
    who still treats these dscussion-fora as if they were letter-exchanges

mtlfire and YULtide like this.